Biogon 21/2/.8 vs CV 21/1.8 vs SEM 21/3.4

fatihayoglu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At present I have the WATE, 21SEM, 21 Lux and 21/2.8 Asph. The last will go, as I don't use it enough. I've had the 21/4 CV, and have used the 21/1.8 CV and 21/2.8 ZM as well as 8 or 9 others.

Technically, the SEM is the best, unless your main criterium is distortion. In that case the 21/4.5 ZM or 21/3.4 Super Angulon are better, but those really don't work on digital. The 21/4 CV is tiny, but comes with some issues. Optical quality is certainly decent but doesn't come close to that of the SEM or WATE, has unfortunate variability and has some colour shading due to too shallow ray incidence. The 21/1.8 is good, but you do give up some contrast and even more micro contrast for the fast speed. The main reasonable alternate to the Leica lenses is the Zeiss 21/2.8. It is quite comparable to the Leica 21/2.8 Asph for the most part, although I do prefer the Leica. If you want f/2.8 at least and/or don't want to spend too much, it would be the best choice. It may be built in the same factory as the CV branded lenses, but tolerances seem to be tighter and the extra money seem to result is better quality overall.

• Like 1

At present I have the WATE, 21SEM, 21 Lux and 21/2.8 Asph......edited......The main reasonable alternate to the Leica lenses is the Zeiss 21/2.8. It is quite comparable to the Leica 21/2.8 Asph for the most part, although I do prefer the Leica. If you want f/2.8 at least and/or don't want to spend too much, it would be the best choice. It may be built in the same factory as the CV branded lenses, but tolerances seem to be tighter and the extra money seem to result is better quality overall.

In comparison to the 21SEM, Henning's description of the Zeiss 21/2.8 above echoes my experience.  In terms of haptics and construction, the SEM  was more of a "stable" solution.  By "stable" here, I mean that its unlikely that I will revisit the decision to acquire the SEM for some time to come because of output quality, construction, size, look, feel, and consistency with other Leica lenses. The Zeiss provided me with excellent service (particularly compared to an earlier Elmarit Leica pre ASPH with its E60 filter size), and the reservation on its usability reflects more on my shortcomings than on the lens itself.  If time is of the essence, as it is the case for me in my mid-sixties, the SEM is a difficult choice to beat.  I have no experience with CV, but given possible sample variation, it is generally unlikely that I would consider it.  Enjoy in good health.  

Edited by ibramr