TL2 LCD Usability in Bright Sun

mikej

I'd like to give you a clear answer, but I can't. I've had it since summer, and used it in bright light in the south of France, but I used it both with & without the EVF; I don't recall getting annoyed with the LCD in bright sunlight, but my memory could be faulty. I mostly use it without the EVF now, relying on AF, or with auto-enlarge view for MF with TL lenses, and in Cambridge light in autumn the LCD is clear enough. I mostly wear contacts for close vision, but my sight is not too bad. The TL2 is my fun camera for casual use, so I'm not striving for perfection. I do occasionally use it for macro, and then I do use the EVF to see the precise focus.

I'd say they are similar Mike. I took my T and X-Vario through Europe recently, used both (albeit not at the same time), alongside my film R6 and Leicaflex SL.

While I had the EVF2 for the Vario, and the Visoflex for the T, I don't recall using either of them, most likely on account of the "awkwardness" factor.

As much as I used to despise "tourist mode" with the camera at arms length, it seems the answer to my glasses on and off problem with the Visoflex or EVF2. I can use my glasses with them of course but the use at arms length for most of my shooting is satisfactory.

Gary

As much as I used to despise "tourist mode" with the camera at arms length, it seems the answer to my glasses on and off problem with the Visoflex or EVF2. 

One of the things that drives me insane with the Visoflex.  It has a diopter but you still need glasses to change the menu options... 

Mike,

I think that you need to try it out in bright sunlight if that can be arranged at a dealer before you buy.

I wear varifocal glasses and cannot easily use a camera at arm's length, even if I wanted to. And I don't really want to because it is hard to hold steady and frame accurately, let alone focus manually. I know many others manage this and I'm impressed by their skill.

I use the Visoflex almost exclusively. A few weeks ago, as an experiment, I took my TL out on a beautiful sunny day and left the Visoflex at home. I found bright sunlight made the camera almost unusable - more or less only point and shoot and hoping for the best. I am amazed that anyone can use it in bright sunlight.

I love the camera, but only find it comfortable with the Visoflex, although even that is far from perfect.

Just my experience.

Tim

• 3 years later...

I have used the CL and generally used the EVF, ditto when I was using a Sony A6500.  But the CL was a bit too small for me, after moving to the SL2 which I also shoot with the EVF.  But I need a smaller Leica for some travel and other times when the SL2 is just not what I want to carry around.  So the TL2 is VERY appealing to me!  I use an iPhone now and then for photos and have little trouble with using the screen instead of an EVF.

My question to those using a TL2 is how does the screen compare to an iPhone in terms of brightness and usability in bright sunlight.  I will try one and figure I could add a Visoflex if I need one now and then.

In choosing wether to keep the CL or TL2, both of which I loved it was the EVF of the CL that was the decider.

I've never really liked taking photos by LCD all that much anyway so not that difficult a decision but use on sunny days was a pain as I recall.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:05 PM, Regor said:

My question to those using a TL2 is how does the screen compare to an iPhone in terms of brightness and usability in bright sunlight.  I will try one and figure I could add a Visoflex if I need one now and then.

With your question in mind, I took some photos in the bright evening sun with both the TL2 and the iPhone XR and I’d say that screen useability and brightness were about the same.