Does anyone else dislike having two sets of framlines?

Me Leica!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an Epson R-D1 (which is a great little camera) and a very nice 50mm F2 Summicron lens on it. Nice combination.

I recently tried out a Leica M (240) and the actual image quality was great. What I couldn't get my head around was the two sets of framelines. I know that this is a feature of Leicas, but having become used to the single frame on the Epson, having two of them just felt like clutter and until you get used to which is which, it's easy to make framing errors.

If the option existed to "remove" (or temporarily render invisible) one set of them, would you use it? (Given that they are now lit electronically, I wonder if it couldn't be done by firmware or something?)

• Like 1

If the option existed to "remove" (or temporarily render invisible) one set of them, would you use it? (Given that they are now lit electronically, I wonder if it couldn't be done by firmware or something?)

I don't think the frame lines are electronic. They are lit by an LED, but still use the original finder masks. Yeah, select frame lines would be good.

If you  would remove them you would be unable to see the framing of half the lenses... As they are mechanical, it would be quite a costly operation, as it would call for modifying all three masks. I think Leica used to honour requests  to block out the 75 mm lines at a not   inconsiderable cost. I rather doubt that that is still an option.

Which is a rather elaborate way of saying not a realistic  idea.

The only electronic thing about them is the LED that replaces the light widow.

For the M7 and the MP Leica offers an „A la carte“ - option with just the 3 frames for 35/50/90mm as the M2 had them or a 5 frames version without the 75mm frames. You pay 150,-€ more to get less frames. Normally this is only an option when you buy the camera new, though I believe they do it on request for existing cameras - but it will be much more expensive.

Since the viewfinder with its frames is in principle the same for the digital bodies as for the analogue ones it should be possible to get the viewfinder changed even for an M 240 or M10.

A short question to Customer Care might help.

I don't see the point in removing them, use the camera and after a while you only take notice of the frameline you are using. Most people manage to breath without noticing every breath, it's same with seeing Leica framelines.

• Like 2

I don't see the point in removing them [...]

I don't like the 75mm framelines. A pain for this 50mm shooter since the M4-P and i still don't understand why it was paired with 50mm. None of my film Ms have them and i could well ask for a removal if i happen to buy an M11 unless it has electronic framelines but i don't hold my breath.

I have an Epson R-D1 (which is a great little camera) and a very nice 50mm F2 Summicron lens on it. Nice combination.

I recently tried out a Leica M (240) and the actual image quality was great. What I couldn't get my head around was the two sets of framelines. I know that this is a feature of Leicas, but having become used to the single frame on the Epson, having two of them just felt like clutter and until you get used to which is which, it's easy to make framing errors.

This is my only complaint on my 240-P I have two bodies, one with 50mm., one with 35mm. Having the extra frameline really does "put me off". I've sort of trained myself to get over it, but this really should't happen in this "day and age". I can perhaps understand why it was done in days gone by.

http://www.richardhiston.org

Well, the reason why it happens in this day and age are the same as why it was done in days gone by: they want to give users the opportunity to use different lenses - also beyond the „classical“ trio of 35/50/90.

I am sure it was possible to produce an M 240 with just one frame, or 3 or five.

If they would produce them I could imagine the threads in this forum about the longitude of waiting lists for cameras with all the different frame options.

.... Why is that?

Well, perhaps because the question was asked in the subforum for the M (Typ 240) and relied explicitely to this camera?

Of course there are lots of cameras around without any need for (mechanical) frames. Even the M 1 didn't have them. Though all those cameras and options are a different topic.

Ideally I’d like to have just 28/50/90 frames, each own their own. But there lies the problem, the 28 & 90 are paired...

It used to be the way, that one could send their camera to Leica for service and ask them to remove the extra frames (at cost), but I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

No. I see no reason to fiddle with what works just fine.

For the latest digital M-cameras, where the light frames are generated electronically, a different programming should be possible, so that in combination with coded lenses only the corresponding light frame can be seen alone.

For non-coded lenses it would have to stay with the now practiced double frame reflection, since only three different settings of the frame selector lever are possible.

For the latest digital M-cameras, where the light frames are generated electronically....

They are not. The frames are still the same cutouts in sheet metal and they are still brought in place by the same mechanical means. They are just lit with an internal electric light.