TL2 and Leica T 23mm "Lens Error"

rchrd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wanted to put this out there for other people who may have the same problem. I bought a 23mm T lens online and the Leica TL2 gave me a lens error message in a red box. I had to send it into the Leica store. They fixed it and said these older T lenses have built in software on the lens itself. So the lens updates itself to work with a camera when it is put on a newer camera. Going from T to a TL2 was the issue and the lens needed to be put on an older camera first, probably a TL, before it can be properly updated with the TL2. The lens works now.

Edited by rchrd

Yes, S lenses as well.  Leica so far has only allowed each lens to be upgraded on the camera for which it was designed.  Firmware that has to be brought up to date one step at a time is not a new thing, but to have to upgrade a lens first on a T then the rest of the way on a TL2 in order to reach a level that only the TL2 requires does sound pretty dumb.  It's not that Leica doesn't realize this is a hassle.  I have heard from dealers that this is something they have complained about for some time.

• Like 1