M9 adjustment

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, my M9 has drifted a bit out of adjustment. It is definitely the camera - I have several lenses and it focuses short of where the rangefinder is indicating on all of them. I was a bit disappointed when I took it to a well known London dealer and they just took a photo of a distant hoarding and said 'no that's fine.' Is there a good camera mechanic is the south of England who can get it dead right? I don't want to send it on holiday to Wetzlar for a month and in any case I'm not convinced a careless delivery man somewhere between here and Germany couldn't knock it out again as soon as they'd fixed it.

I know some people DIY but I would rather use a mechanic.

Thanks for any info.

John

Hi John,

Try Malcolm Taylor; he is mainly a film Leica expert but anything to do with a range finder he can sort out. He personally uses a M9 to test lenses and focusing. He's not on the internet. He lives in Herefordshore. Phone is 01568 770 542. He did my M3 and it is perfect now.

Antony

• Like 1

Any good repair shop should be able to calibrate a rangefinder, they should have test equipment to set these things up. I had trouble with a dealer in London who tried twice to repair a lens which I ended up repairing myself, they said similar it seems ok but it wasn't.

• Like 1

Hi, my M9 has drifted a bit out of adjustment. It is definitely the camera - I have several lenses and it focuses short of where the rangefinder is indicating on all of them. I was a bit disappointed when I took it to a well known London dealer and they just took a photo of a distant hoarding and said 'no that's fine.' Is there a good camera mechanic is the south of England who can get it dead right? I don't want to send it on holiday to Wetzlar for a month and in any case I'm not convinced a careless delivery man somewhere between here and Germany couldn't knock it out again as soon as they'd fixed it.

Thanks for any info.

John

This is just a matter of giving the roller a minimal twist with a 2 mm Allen Key. A few minutes DIY.

Are there pictures somewhere Jaap? I'm not sure I'll do it, but I wouldn't mind seeing what is adjusted.

yours

John

Insert your 2 mm hex key here and twist slowly a few degrees Left or Right (depending on overshoot or falling short of infinity) until you RF patches overlap exactly. You can correct as often as you want, so there is no hassle.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

i did this to my m9 from the original thread mentioned above.  and good grief what a difference!  so simple to do and yet solved so much anxiety and concern.  In focus keepers have gone up and confidence is now higher than it was before, especially the M9 being my first M (just obtained a couple months ago)!

Wow, thank you. That’s incredibly useful info to know. Isn’t there also a hex nut for vertical alignment behind the Leica dot on M9s?

Insert your 2 mm hex key here and twist slowly a few degrees Left or Right (depending on overshoot or falling short of infinity) until you RF patches overlap exactly. You can correct as often as you want, so there is no hassle.

Edited by AceVentura1986

I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK the M9 still has the old method of adjusting vertically, i.e. by removing the red dot, softening the locking compound and adjusting by a special tool; can be bought on eBay for less than 50$ or made in DIY.

From the M240 onwards it is a 2 mm hex nut.

• Like 1

Thanks for any info.

John

Do not use that dealer.  There are two adjustment points on film leicas, infinity and 1 meter which is why 50 mm lenses are all marked at 1 meter.

M10 has much better RF.