M mount 50mm that flares?

reddot925

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Any suggestion for an older summilux or the summicron (or even other models or brands with M mount) 50mm that flares, but without the long focus throw?

I'm looking for a different look to the usual sharp and contrasty images.  But usually the vintage faster lens comes with very long focus throw which is not really suitable for my style of street photography.

Thank you. 

Zeiss ZM Sonnar 50/1.5, wide open - more soft and with a bit of a highlight aura than in your face flare.

Interesting indeed. I would have sworn that my ZM 50/1.5 is one of my least flare prone lenses. Any pic to show this? Just curious.

• Like 1

Interesting indeed. I would have sworn that my ZM 50/1.5 is one of my least flare prone lenses. Any pic to show this? Just curious.

I don't have it any longer - I only had it for a year. As I wrote, it was more a soft aura around highlights than big flare. I'll see if I have any examples.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thank you, good suggestion however I was advised against this lens because it's getting very close to the sensor of the M10 which is the thinnest digital M so far. (even you don't collapse, it does collapse by accident from time to time in the bag).

Has anyone have any issues?

Summicron 50mm collapsible? Mine does flare quite a bit. It has some light haze inside though.

... I was advised against this lens because it's getting very close to the sensor of the M10 which is the thinnest digital M so far. ....

The distance between the lens mount and the sensor is the same for all M cameras. It has to, otherwise the lens wouldn't focus at all distances.

Same here... I don't find this to be a lens that flares. As the first poster who recommended it stated, it has a softness wide open that's more 'bloom' than 'flare'.

Jupiter-3 in LTM + adapter? Focus throw is about 180 degrees (may vary from one lens to another). Unfortunately, getting one that you like is a bit of a lottery, but worth a try perhaps. Also, focus calibration is tricky, but likely less important for street work.

If you are looking for a really different look, try a Summar 50 f2

Focus is not short, but i don’t think you can find a vintage look and short focus.

Franco

Edited by Fgcm
  • Like 1

IMO. Asking for lens with short focus throw, M-mount and flaring is the oxymoron. Mostly because short throw means modern lens. But even V4 Cron which might be oldest optics with modern short focus throw doesn't flare, but might have veil issue.

I can't recall my Collapsible in M mount (it was after service) to flare. Nor was mine Summarit 50 1.5 LTM  (also clean) lens flaring on M3. But then I've got Summar 50 f2 it was flaring like crazy, until I cleaned it by myself. And I used this lens for the street and shooting fast. 

13118781213_5bfd08e0a4.jpg

12263463585_563834323c.jpg

12111902945_0f9d537958.jpg

Forgot to mention. Jupiter-3 original, will have circular flare but next to randomly if using it for the street. I guess, typical sold on Ebay Summarit 50 1.5 where most if not all of them have damaged front element, will flare. They are available in M mount and suitable for the street due to the focus tab. Clean Summarit 50 1.5 street example:

19046710236_f719ef947c.jpg

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1

On my 50mm using for long, the flarest is original Summarit 1.5/50 then a bit less is Summar LTM 2/50 (contre-jour is beautiful but not repeatable, I don't know why).

Even coated Summar 2/50 is flare prone if light is included in framing.

In LTM, Canon 1.2/50 may also be a good candidate at f/1.2 to f/2, but not short focus throw with LTM lenses.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Jupiter 3 has a long focus throw, at least mine has.

I've had a few and kept two. One is exactly 180 degrees (not short, but not very long either), the other one is more like 210-220. I can't remember what it was on those I had before, but likely in the same ballpark. The "new J-3+" from Lomo/Zenit seems to have a slightly longer throw (240-ish degrees). 

• Like 1