Leica, RIP

FrankF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hear ya FrankF. My MM has been at Leica NJ since June 1. Been 20 weeks and I sent off another email recently and they gave me the same crap. It takes 20 weeks plus.

I am working on a project that I was using the MM for. Now the project is on hold until I get it back. I do have Nikon gear and use it for my professional work but I really want the CCD sensor back so I can get back to the work I started for the exhibition and book.

For the amount of money Leica cameras cost here in Canada I'm not sure I would get another Leica. I may get an M10 at some point but I will wait and see what becomes of things down the road.

I am very disappointed in this Leica experience. Kinda heart breaking really.

G

Also one might wonder why they did not create a system whereby the camera would be called in from the customer as soon as a slot with a quick return is available, leaving the camera with the owner to use. Corrosion does mostly not inhibit use

Leica NJ has such a program.  I signed up and when my slot was coming up, Leica sent a pre-paid shipping label and off my MM went.  Unfortunately for this system to work Customer Service must intercept the body and insert it into the reserved slot.  In my case this did not happen so my MM went to the back of the line and took 12 weeks for repair even with my dealer's involvement.  Apparently it is not possible to retrieve a camera and restore it to its reserved slot once it enters the black hole of cameras waiting repair.

It appears that you are an exception- even with the cock-up, as the half-year or more waits are mounting up. There shouldn't be a slot in the sea of waiting cameras to be inserted in, it should be a smooth assembly-line type of operation.

Comparing to my profession: the thing to aim for is an empty waiting room and a buzzing surgery.

Leica in Germany should listen to the chorus of complaints about NJ and it's handling of the sensor replacement. I also encountered the glacial speed and in frustration opted for the 246.

My first experience with NJ, which was not the best, was in 1978. Nothing has improved. NJ continues to tarnish the Leica brand. Please, Leica Germany, fix the problem.

Thanks for your reply.

For every person who rants about horrible service on the internet there are at least 10 who are happy and have no reason to start a useless thread about why they're unhappy.

The OP (who insists on writing in large type and is obviously very important) isn't looking for a solution, they're merely saying how they're so unhappy that they've had enough, and instead of looking for a solution or asking for advice (which would be forthcoming) they've decided to go off in a huff. Who cares.

My comment is just as meaningful as yours and as the OP is being a sook. 

I respectfully disagree.

As a consumer, I like to hear everything about a company because it enables me to make an informed purchasing decision.

There are also plenty of "useless threads' about why Leica users are happy with their cameras/service...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I feel the same about people who feel compelled to announce their wealth, their insulation as follows:

dkmoore: "I have bought a few high end homes new construction, quite a few luxury vehicles, and some others products that far outweighs the expense of my camera equipment (Rolex and other brand watches). Leica is in that same luxury category."

You clearly didn't understand my point. Regardless of one's wealth, I expect that when I do buy high end products that they work. And if they don't, the company needs to fix, in a timely manner. 

I was merely giving examples of other types of similar products to drive home the point because those companies do not torture their customer with slow lead times and terrible communication.

Did I say my $10 million dollar mansion, my ferrari, etc?

The fact of the matter is Leica NJ is a weak link and needs to be fixed. They have a real, and very serious issue, whether you feel like admitting it or not. I think it is absolutely reasonable for anyone to complain about service from Allendale, NJ.

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply.

For every person who rants about horrible service on the internet there are at least 10 who are happy and have no reason to start a useless thread about why they're unhappy.

The OP (who insists on writing in large type and is obviously very important) isn't looking for a solution, they're merely saying how they're so unhappy that they've had enough, and instead of looking for a solution or asking for advice (which would be forthcoming) they've decided to go off in a huff. Who cares.

My comment is just as meaningful as yours and as the OP is being a sook. 

You are making an assumption that Leica NJ does not have a problem, which is factually incorrect. If you talk to their employees and management team they will tell you straight up they have a problem. They have a shortage of technicians. They have antiquated systems. 

Many Leica reps and connected folks read this forum and I for one hope that the complaints set in and they resolve the issues. Isn't that the point of the forum? Yes, that was a facetious question. 

But yea your right, consumer complaints are all bogus and should be ignored simply because their are equal numbers of those without complaints.

• Like 3

<snip> ...NJ will communicate with Leica dealers, however, so sending via your dealer or getting them involved can help matters.  Tony Rose at Popflash went way beyond expectations in getting my camera back.

This has been my experience too.

But yea your right, consumer complaints are all bogus and should be ignored simply because their are equal numbers of those without complaints.

I've had both good and bad experiences with Leica NJ.  When my M9 went in for sensor replacement it was back in my hands in less that five weeks including the Leica NJ Christmas week shutdown.  So, last year,  when it was time to send my MM for my reserved slot in the sensor replacement queue my expectations were similar.  It was not to be and I had the worst customer support experience of my life.  In both cases I was totally satisfied with the work performed.

But going forward, which experience should I go by if I have to send my current bodies for repair?  Do they cancel out?  I think Wetzlar will be my next Leica repair destination.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 2