Stolen camera & Lenes

artgodmyk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where and when? 

We're going to Spain in January and next summer, and would appreciate any info about risk scenarios.

Do you think they went for the camera or did they just grab a bag?

FWIW, I live in Barcelona and carry a Leica every day when out. While so far I have been lucky, we have many friends (including locals) who have had cameras, laptops and wallets stolen, and the police and city council seem to have no interest in addressing the problem.

Generally speaking, most thefts are by either taking a bag (particularly if you are at a bar/cafe) or pick-pocketing something out of a bag or pocket (particularly on the metro). We always physically anchor bags to a chair when stopped and it is a good idea to avoid using backpacks that can be easily unzipped from behind. It also helps to not look like a wealthy tourist that has just stepped off a cruise ship for a few hours in the town.

While there is a lot of theft, there are few violent crimes or muggings here - mainly because the police do take these very seriously. That said there have been some reports in the last year of gangs specifically targeting people with Leica gear and physically taking the camera gear off of them. These were all in the old part of the city when there were few other people around, so use common sense and avoid dark empty streets if alone.

A thief sees a camera, not a brand...

There are definitely some criminals here that are targeting brands. Taping over logos will not help, although anything which makes the camera look physically worn or less valuable is probably a good idea (finally a use for that Lenny Kravitz edition...).

I strongly agree with the "bandolier" style of carrying. It also helps to have a strong strap - I have been warned at least once that thieves here can try to cut the strap and then grab the camera. An alternative is to use a wrist strap and keep the camera in a bag when not shooting.

Unfortunately, Barcelona is one of the worst cities in the world for (non-violent) crime.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Very sorry to hear about your loss. Hope your insurance pays out and maybe the equipment turns up...

I agree with the bandolier style of carrying and under a jacket if possible. I did a lot of street work in Manhattan in the 1970s when it was risky business and did not use bags. Better to just to take an extra lens in your pocket, IMO.

Very cool, hmmm, stolen Leica or dropped Leica...  I guess dropped.

Exactly my thoughts. Dumb idea for something that will be dropped and damaged.  The thief isn't going to just give it a little prod to see if it's safe to take. They will grab it and run by which time the inevitable outcome is inevitable!  Might be better for a suitcase.  

More likely I'd forget to disarm it and drive others to distraction.

However, the PM wrote that he was mugged, not that he left it out for self-serve by a thief.

Edited by MarkP

FWIW, I live in Barcelona and carry a Leica every day when out. While so far I have been lucky, we have many friends (including locals) who have had cameras, laptops and wallets stolen, and the police and city council seem to have no interest in addressing the problem.

Generally speaking, most thefts are by either taking a bag (particularly if you are at a bar/cafe) or pick-pocketing something out of a bag or pocket (particularly on the metro). We always physically anchor bags to a chair when stopped and it is a good idea to avoid using backpacks that can be easily unzipped from behind. It also helps to not look like a wealthy tourist that has just stepped off a cruise ship for a few hours in the town.

While there is a lot of theft, there are few violent crimes or muggings here - mainly because the police do take these very seriously. That said there have been some reports in the last year of gangs specifically targeting people with Leica gear and physically taking the camera gear off of them. These were all in the old part of the city when there were few other people around, so use common sense and avoid dark empty streets if alone.

There are definitely some criminals here that are targeting brands. Taping over logos will not help, although anything which makes the camera look physically worn or less valuable is probably a good idea (finally a use for that Lenny Kravitz edition...).

I strongly agree with the "bandolier" style of carrying. It also helps to have a strong strap - I have been warned at least once that thieves here can try to cut the strap and then grab the camera. An alternative is to use a wrist strap and keep the camera in a bag when not shooting.

Unfortunately, Barcelona is one of the worst cities in the world for (non-violent) crime.

I have taken to using a Pacsafe daypack when in areas where theft is a concern, as these bags have many built in anti theft features.

I put my camera in an XL size Zing neoprene pouch and each lens in its own Zing pouch then put them in the bag.  The bag is like a daypack and has no padding or compartments for cameras and lenses so the Zing pouches are necessary for protection.  In addition I put a square of rubber pad cut from a gardener's kneeling pad in the bottom of the bag to protect the contents if the bag is accidentally dropped. 

Pacsafe does make some backpacks that are designed for cameras and lenses and they do make some messenger type cross-body bags.  Here is a one of their bags that is similar to what I use:   http://www.pacsafe.com/metrosafe-ls450-anti-theft-25l-backpack/30435100.html?cgid=bags-backpacks#start=1

In an area where theft is a serious problem, the backpack can be worn backwards, with the pack riding on your chest for extra security.

• Like 1