What is the largest capacity CF card you have used in S 006?

djmay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am thinking about taking a different approach to redundancy. When traveling, I currently transfer the images daily from a SD card to a WD MyPassport Wireless Pro. When I return to my computer, I import the images from the SD cards. If something should happen to the SD card, I can use the Wireless Pro.

I am considering to add another layer of redundancy. In this case, I would use a large CF card (128-256gb) and 32gb SD card in camera. I would save images to both cards, and change the SD card as needed. The CF card would serve as the backup. If something should happen to a SD card, I have the CF card. If I exceed the capacity of the CF card, I have the Wireless Pro as backup, and can format the CF card and keep going. In one shooting expedition, it is unlikely that I would exceed 128gb.

I would like to know from the forum, what is the largest capacity CF card that you have used in the S 006? Did you notice performance changes as the card size increased?

Jesse

I use a 64gb card as a few other fellow photographers mentioned before. 

Interestingly enough, I was interested in using a larger capacity card and when I reached to Leica US I was told the 006 would not work properly with anything larger to 64gb, which appears to be not that accurate given the above experience. 

However other Leica sources recommended not to use anything larger than 64gb, not because of technically incompatible, rather because the 006 would slow down significantly with anything larger than that. 

It would be interesting if Bernard who's using the 128gb could comment on the the speed of its 006 with the 128gb vs a 64gb or smaller card. Thanks. 

cheers, 

Lorenzo