Topsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all, just a line or 2 to introduce myself. I am a new owner (not yet received my M9 and 35mm Summicron in the post yet). Not new to Photography but new to Lieca, been lusting for many years but only just bit the bullet. I have bought a M9 that has already had it's sensor replaced so hopefully it won't give me any issues.

I hope to be part of this community and learn from all you experienced Leica users.

Regards

Topsy.

• Like 2

Welcome! The M9 has its quirks but once you get used to them it's a fantastic camera. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Rob

www.robertpoolephotography.com

Hi Robert, I've seen your stuff on the Fiji Forum, hard act to follow. Once I get my head around the M9 I'll surely post some shots.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome - this is a great forum! Without wishing to ‘pour cold water’ - you mention the sensor was replaced.. ..was it replaced with a second-generation one? Many, like mine, had a sensor replaced before the second-generation sensor was developed and that replacement sensor also corroded. The seller will have paperwork to confirm - or you may get confirmation from Leica.

Edited by Denys
  • Like 1

Welcome - this is a great forum! Without wishing to ‘pour cold water’ - you mention the sensor was replaced.. ..was it replaced with a second-generation one? Many, like mine, had a sensor replaced before the second-generation sensor was developed and that replacement sensor also corroded. The seller will have paperwork to confirm - or you may get confirmation from Leica.

Thanks for the concern, seller had the sensor changed "for the new corrosion free type" last year with latest firmware installed. This was one of the reasons I opted for this particular camera over some slightly cheaper ones. Hopefully it will be trouble free. :unsure:

Enjoy the M9, it has many followers, including myself.

What do you plan to shoot with your new toy?

It will become my edc camera or Martini as I currently call my Fuji X100T (any time any place any where). It really will be a general use camera for capturing those moments in life that are worth recording. I am mainly a landscape and travel sort of photographer (hobbyist only) I have latterly been an avid Fuji user with X-Pro1s being my "travel" and the GFX 50S now my landscape rig. I see the M9 being with me for all trips but reasonably I can't run to the newer Typ 240 M10 or even a second M9 body with WA and Short Tele lenses so will likely run it alongside my X-Pro1s. The thing that attracts me to Leica and the M9 in particular though is the back to basics approach (by necessity) of rangefinder and no live view. TBH I have become lazy since having the AF/live view/EVF of the Fujis and that has made me sloppy. I intend to use the M9 to sharpen myself up again. I do know that throwing money at one's photography doesn't mean better results but in this instance (like the Meduim Format approach of the GFX) I think the method of working will have the improving affect because I threw money at it.  :unsure:

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums fella. I’m also a relatively newbie with an M9 and I’m loving the back to basics approach. It’s a great little camera and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the experience of shooting with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the concern, seller had the sensor changed "for the new corrosion free type" last year with latest firmware installed. This was one of the reasons I opted for this particular camera over some slightly cheaper ones. Hopefully it will be trouble free. :unsure:

Great news! I think the general view here is that a body with the second generation sensor is worth quite a lot more than one that hasn’t - since Leica now makes a substantial charge for replacement.. ..so you’ve done well to avoid a ‘slightly cheaper one’! Not aware of any other general issues on the M9; your only worries now are: am I using the best strap and most appropriate bag (forum in jokes!)

ENJOY!

• Like 1

I have a M-E or type 220.

I love it best over all my other cameras (5D2,G15, Lytro, Minox Leica and more) precisely because I have to slow down and think. It brings me back to basics as you said.

I have 35 and 50 Summicron. I’m waiting for it to come back with replaced sensor and I’m pining not to be able to use it.

Congratulations you will not regret the leap.

Edited by adespen
  • Like 1