Lightroom or Capture one for Leica M files

tom24

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, yesterday I've find out that for me C1Pro is better than Lr.  

I've tried a number of raw developers: 

With C1Pro I can get satisfactory results for raw development much faster and can spend more time on selecting and sequencing images, on making a body of work.

I see definitely more depth and tonal differentiation in the C1 version indeed, see the bark of the birch for example.

What often is forgotten in these discussions however, is: what looks as a perfect image on the sreen, isn’t necessarily the perfect version for printing

Yes, the Lr makes images more bright, and there is a need to correct it. That image is flat and somehow rough.  Something might be corrected. Something - not.

It takes about 5..10 mins to develop a file in RPP,  3 mins in Lr and  couple of seconds (for cmd-L) in C1Pro. 

Well, I've uploaded files for printing, and going to collect prints from a lab. However, I'm not sure if a print image today still is a final destination.  That is an issue for separate discussion.

• Like 3

How does Media Pro and Capture One Pro used together compared to Lightroom CC?

From Media Pro, you have 'Open With'.

You can set Capture One as the default.

Edits done in Capture One show up in Media Pro.

The other way around, you can also import a Media Pro catalog.

Much information here

specifically, look at "Capture One workflow"

• 4 weeks later...

Hello:  Migrated away from LR early in 2017.  I found C1Pro to be much more stable when tethering my Leica M (or SL) using Leica Image Shuttle 3 as my conduit,

My opinions as to the main benefits of C1...

-Images seem to have more acutance without seeming over sharpened.

-The highlight-shadow HDR settings in C1 seem to be way superior than LR

-More defined color manipulation options in C1, although I'm still learning that module.

-Using the "migration" workspace in C1 helped tremendously in my transition from LR.

Just upgraded to C1Pro-11, so have lots more to get familiar with.

Have yet to upgrade to High-Sierra.  Would like to know if Leica Image Shuttle 3 and C1Pro-11 are compatible with Apple's new OS. Have not read definitive responses on these important questions.

• Like 1

Hello: Migrated away from LR early in 2017. I found C1Pro to be much more stable when tethering my Leica M (or SL) using Leica Image Shuttle 3 as my conduit,

My opinions as to the main benefits of C1...

-Images seem to have more acutance without seeming over sharpened.

-The highlight-shadow HDR settings in C1 seem to be way superior than LR

-More defined color manipulation options in C1, although I'm still learning that module.

-Using the "migration" workspace in C1 helped tremendously in my transition from LR.

Just upgraded to C1Pro-11, so have lots more to get familiar with.

Have yet to upgrade to High-Sierra. Would like to know if Leica Image Shuttle 3 and C1Pro-11 are compatible with Apple's new OS. Have not read definitive responses on these important questions.

I agree except for one issue: my M10 images are too yellow since the update with the M10 ICC-profile, it seems they just copied the M240 profile. The DNG Neutral was perfect before that, but now very flat and desaturated. Did you notice any change after the upgrade to 11? Edited by otto.f

• 4 years later...

There is another matter to consider.  If the point of DNG/RAW files is to have a neutral file so the photographer, and not the software, can interpret the developing parameters to suit his or her vision, then the flatter, often imperfect LR conversion is perhaps a better starting point.

C1 gives a more pleasant interpretation of the file at first conversion, but, in a way, that can "lead" the photographer visually into a predetermined outcome. (as nice as it may be)

After all, Leica or any other brand gives you their own interpretation of the right file conversion if you shoot DNG+JPG and take a look at the JPG, but that is the point of having a DNG, to not be tethered to pre-determined processing.

I, too, am new to Leica but have been shooting Nikon, Sony, Fuji, and mainly Canon for years.  On my pwn workflow, I tend to try different paths depending on what I want to achieve, and whether the image is for me or a c specific use for a client or print.

I still find Silver Effects pro superior to both LR and C1 for B&W conversions, but don't always have to resort to it to get a good image.

A very common thing to me is to convert the RAW file on C1, and then transfer both a TIFF version of that conversion and the DNG original to Lightroom.  I mostly only keep raw files on C1, even if I may play a little bit and save two versions of conversion.  This gives me an original DNG and a possible TIFF or two to work from in Lightroom.  I will then look at the DNG conversion in Lightroom and apply my normal touchpoints without preset.

I compare the  4 files (DNG original, C1 Tiffs, Lightroom Conversion and my lightroom conversion) and label them accordingly, and then my own eye leads me to work with one or the other from there. I don't think much after that point, nor care if I am being loyal to C1, LR, PS or Nik software. At that point, I am just flowing through. looking back perhaps I tend to use pure LR flow about 60 to 70% of the time (with PS and NiK)  but, it is true that some of the files that come from C1 need very little adjustment after they are imported into LR.  Not sure if they are just better original shots, or the subject is just more suitable for their conversion parameters,

(Note) I had a 12500 ISO portrait that was a little bit noisy in color, but much cleaner in B&W of course.  C1 in that case gave me a much cleaner file at original conversion than LR on both color and B&W. So clean in fact that the low noise just looked like a very smooth grain texture.  (I actually checked if it was adding grain, but it was not) This was a casual portrait, nothing meant to be great as I was just testing a new lens (50 APO M)  I played with lightroom a bit and managed to get a similar result but, I have to say, that image was ok-ish in LR but quite effective to my eye on c1, which encouraged me to work on it. On the LR alone I may have discarded it on archive it for later.

Mine is a slower flow for sure, but I am seldom in a rush as I am, at this point, a hobbyist, not a pro. So the journey is the fun part for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried PhotoNinja, and found a lot to like about this program. It has a fairly simple and uncluttered interface, so is easy to use. ( I never start up Capture One until I have my 'crib sheet' to hand.) The results from the program were to my mind not quite as good as those from Capture One, but were good enough. The only problem I had was that when faced with an CD card with 100+ images, the program ran quite slowly.