M9P - What have I bought????

Ozytripper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a "like new" M9P as a backup camera to my M10 and I am wondering what have I bought?

The M9P looks unused, all the dials click very solidly - like a brand new camera (compared to another body with about 8000 actualtions). There was only 400 actuations recorded

A few months ago I have saw advertisements for Refurbished M9s for sale in German Stores. What exactly are these refurbished models? Camera returned on the upgrade program which are then overhauled and resold? If this is correct then does Leica reset the actuations back to zero?

I also noticed that Leica does upgrades for M9 to M9P. The few ads on ebay for these upgraded M9 are still packed in their original M9 box

The camera I bought has an M9P box. A German Retailer sticker on it.  

It also has Ostrich skin look leather on the body

Firmware 1.204 (new sensor?)

No outer box so I cannot tell the manufacturing date

Can anyone tell me what I have just bought?

-a refurbished camera

-an upgraded camera or

-leftover stock that are being cleared out (most unlikely i would think)

Not that it really matters as it works perfectly (so far). More out of curiousity

All feedback appreciated

Where did you buy it from, dealer or private sale?

Genuine M9Ps (as opposed to upgraded M9s) have M9-P stamped on the hot shoe. On black M9Ps, the hot shoe will also be black, unlike an upgraded black M9, which will retains its original silver hot shoe.

I have seen quite a few refurbished M9s at leica dealers as well, often with fancy new leather and usually with new top and bottom plates. Sometimes these refurbs have a few hundred actuations and sometimes they have a few thousand. I have even seen refurbs with paint loss and scratches. All of these refurbs have come with a 1 or 2 year leica warranty.

I guess those with thousands of actuations are probably old M9s that owners traded in when they had sensor corrosion.

Your camera sounds like a refurb but it could also simply be an original M9 that has not been used and which has had its leather changed.

Why don't you ask the seller?

Edited by silverchrome
  • Like 1

Thank you Silverchrome for your very factual response. I am now a bit more re-assured.

The M9-P is on the Hot shoe

It is a black Hot shoe 

As mentioned the Box also say M9P while those upgrade ones on ebay are still housed in M9 boxes

So you indicated that Leica do not reset actuations back to zero after refurbishment - so I guess mine is hardly used then at 420 actuations

I did ask the dealer (not a Leica Boutique) and he said that the camera had the sensor changed and a replacement leather covering put on. Then he added that the latest batch of M9Ps came with a new sensor, trying to indicate that this was from one of the last batches????) 

Where I am now it is hard to telll if a dealer is telling the truth. He also claimed that the previous owner only had it for 6 months 

Good thing is that it does feel "new" and everything is solid. No signs of being used at all.

On resetting shutter count, my M9 went back for circuit board repair and came back with the sensor also replaced (fw 1.204). 

The shutter count was reset. 

Not sure if this had to do with the sensor replacement or the circuit board. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On resetting shutter count, my M9 went back for circuit board repair and came back with the sensor also replaced (fw 1.204). 

The shutter count was reset. 

Not sure if this had to do with the sensor replacement or the circuit board. 

Oh no.......

I might still have a dud :(

Oh no.......

I might still have a dud :(

If the camera has been functioning all well, then I don't think you need to worry too much about it. My M9 before the shutter count reset had clocked about 90k accuations, and has now clocked another 40k since the reset. :)

And as your M9P has all the legit cosmetic features of the proper M9P, I think there is no cause to suspect otherwise. 

Enjoy the camera :)

• Like 1

As others have said, sounds like you have a genuine ‘P’. Without paperwork from Leica it’s difficult to determine whether the sensor is first generation or second (non-corroding). My understanding is that, during manufacture, NO M9s were fitted with second generation sensors.. ..the last cameras were completed five years ago, before the corrosion was discovered.

• Like 1

As others have said, sounds like you have a genuine ‘P’. Without paperwork from Leica it’s difficult to determine whether the sensor is first generation or second (non-corroding). My understanding is that, during manufacture, NO M9s were fitted with second generation sensors.. ..the last cameras were completed five years ago, before the corrosion was discovered.

there was another thread that seems to indicate that M9's with firmware 1.204 would have had the sensor changed to the new non corroding one. This might have been the case as the Ostrich look leather would have been added as an option with the sensor replacement.

If the camera has been functioning all well, then I don't think you need to worry too much about it. My M9 before the shutter count reset had clocked about 90k accuations, and has now clocked another 40k since the reset. :)

And as your M9P has all the legit cosmetic features of the proper M9P, I think there is no cause to suspect otherwise. 

Enjoy the camera :)

It really is more a case of curiosity as to what I have bought. Seems like all the evidence is pointing towards a little used camera that had the sensor changed to the new one.

I am very happy with its performance so far.

Been using it more than the M10

• Like 1

It really is more a case of curiosity as to what I have bought. Seems like all the evidence is pointing towards a little used camera that had the sensor changed to the new one.

I am very happy with its performance so far.

Been using it more than the M10

I suggest you contact Leica directly.  They'll be able to tell you exactly what you've bought.

• Like 1

I suggest you contact Leica directly.  They'll be able to tell you exactly what you've bought.

Great Suggestion Silverchrome

I emailed them this morning and got a reply almost as soon as they started work (I am six hours ahead of Germany)

The CCD was changed in September 2016 yayyyy. Problem solved

:)  :)