Old Leica Collapsible Lens with M10

bencychin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Senior members,

I just received my m10 camera early October.

Besides using the modern Leica lens, I do like the compactness of the old collapsible Leica lens of the 1950s.

I have the old Leica ELMOM 50 / 2.8 and SOONC 35 / 3.5, both are in collapsible version.

The m10 instruction booklet advises not to collapse the lens whilst mounted on the camera, as it risk damaging the camera and lens.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you.

Benedict

Yes... not to collapse old lenses is a general advice which is better to follow, even if the effective risk of damage in some cases is not so significant : the only really comfortable to collapse are the last Elmar M 50 f 2,8 and the Macro Elmar M 90 f4.

Btw... why do you mention the SOONC ? It's a Summaron 35mm f3,5... which is NOT a collapsible lens... :huh: (it can be "goggled", which is a configuration that works also on all new digital M bodies)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Yes... not to collapse old lenses is a general advice which is better to follow, even if the effective risk of damage in some cases is not so significant : the only really comfortable to collapse are the last Elmar M 50 f 2,8 and the Macro Elmar M 90 f4.

Btw... why do you mention the SOONC ? It's a Summaron 35mm f3,5... which is NOT a collapsible lens... :huh: (it can be "goggled", which is a configuration that works also on all new digital M bodies)

Thanks for your good advice.

Yes, I am mistaken, the SOONC Summaron 35mm 3.5 is rigid type.  I was thinking of Voigtlander Heliar 50mm 3.5 lens which is collapsible.

Cheers!

Collapse the 50 in your hand while not on the camera.

Does the barrel protrude past the mount on the rear of the lens?

That should answer your question.

I believe there was a 90 or 135mm collapsible that could damage am M digital but that was the only one.

• Like 1

Collapse the 50 in your hand while not on the camera.

Does the barrel protrude past the mount on the rear of the lens?

That should answer your question.

I believe there was a 90 or 135mm collapsible that could damage am M digital but that was the only one.[/quote

The voigtlander Heliar 50 3.5 has barrel protrude past the rear mount.

The Elmar dont protrude.

So i now can use your recommended method of checking.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Like 1