1.4x Extender for SL 90-280?

Dhuff

I love the SL and this lens, but it just doesn't have enough reach for sideline or surf sports photography. Anyone heard whether Leica will produce a 1.4x extender? Thanks.

+1.

Would be nice with extender(s) and/or longer lenses (for instance 400mm f4), preferably with improved af. Time will tell...

More useful would be a 1.7x extender, resulting in a  153-476 zoom. The light falloff is not too great, so AF probably still reliable/possible.

But Leica seems to have other priorities - even Steffen Skopp is more or less quiet about new lenses since several weeks.

Or Leica struggles with AF speed in the new lenses ?!

Edited by caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the long end, Leica will be compared with Canon/Nikon's 400 mm f2.8 lenses with stabilisation, ultrafast focus and very good optics. These lenses are already expensive, so just imagine the Leica price tag. I would also imagine rather low demands, further increasing the cost (for several of the long APO R-lenses, only 2000 copies were made).

That being said, I would happily let my Nikon gear go the day Leica coffers a 400 or 500 mm SL lens (f4, say) with stabilisation and high-end af and converters.

• Like 1

I would like to see an extender for the 90-280 as well.  I would sell all of my Canon gear if this happened so that I could carry only one system wherever I go.

I will soon have the 16-18-21 WATE, a macro and so I will have 16mm to 280mm focal lengths.  A top quality 1.4 extender would be a perfect system.

• Like 1

The wish for a 1,4 extender for the SL is supported by many users, so do I.  That would not ony extend the possibilities regarding the tele but also the magination possiblities of the lenses. If I am right, once upon a time (long ago) Leica has announced one for the future - but I did not hear any more since then. Leica should have much a more open ear regarding the wishes of the users esp. concerning lenses for the SL. For the most of them it makes no sense to announce new bodies and to neglect the wishes for a wider range of native lenses - and the right lenses not such, which have not the highest priority according to the biggest part of the users.

I would  recommend Leica to have a close look to the behaviour of Fuji with the new GFX mid size camera. Even in this case there are not involved big quantities - nevertheless Fuji has brought up a very useful range of native lenses already within short time.

Edited by HeinzX

I have the SL with the 24-90 and the 90-280 native zoom lenses. Since earlier I have a 105-280 R, used with very good results on M(240) as well as on the SL (before I got the 90-280 AF) As the SL don't have any longer lenses I'm now thinking about to get a R x2 extender to use with this lens. When looking at eBay it seems to be a number of different options and I have difficulties to understand which one that would be the right one for SL. Any one having any ideas?

Get the APO version. This is excellent. The non-APO is somewhat ho-hum in comparison. ROM or non-ROM is irrelevant.

Personally I prefer the 1.4x extender, which turns the lens into an 400 zoom, but has one stop more compared to the 2x and the image quality is in no way impaired - not that the 2x APO is much behind.

• Like 2

Get the APO version. This is excellent. The non-APO is somewhat ho-hum in comparison. ROM or non-ROM is irrelevant.

Personally I prefer the 1.4x extender, which turns the lens into an 400 zoom, but has one stop more compared to the 2x and the image quality is in no way impaired - not that the 2x APO is much behind.

+1 for the APO-converters! The 1.4x is outstanding, and pretty much on my 280 f4 APO all the time...

I have the SL with the 24-90 and the 90-280 native zoom lenses. Since earlier I have a 105-280 R, used with very good results on M(240) as well as on the SL (before I got the 90-280 AF) As the SL don't have any longer lenses I'm now thinking about to get a R x2 extender to use with this lens. When looking at eBay it seems to be a number of different options and I have difficulties to understand which one that would be the right one for SL. Any one having any ideas?

Using an R lens with a 1.4 extender sounds like a simple solution to the OP's problem.

The TL2 already is. My favorite long lens test is a building 1/2 mile away. All pictures hand-held and un-cropped except the last one.

16mm equivalent (11mm on TL2)

37453003844_f9aae122f4_b.jpg

75mm equivalent (50 Summicron on TL2)

26386275129_e3a63be957_b.jpg

90-280 @ 280mm on SL

24310585718_305eb27161_b.jpg

420mm equivalent (90-280 @ 280mm on TL2. With image stabilization!)

38131453332_7612753a02_b.jpg

crop of previous

38131490922_70a326b0a4_b.jpg

Best,

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 6