X1D

nunnzzzz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I’ve been going back and forth between picking up an S or a X1D. My take away from reading this is that they are different enough to justify both. The SL starts to seem redundant in that equation and that’s currently the system I own. I got rid of my M glass as I found I just prefer auto focus. The 35SL is the only lens I’m holding out for, but honestly the X1D and a 007 would probably make me not miss it (I think).

Both are due for the next iteration. Good time to get a bargain on the current ones if you don’t care about the next leap.

The SL zooms, while large and heavy, distinguish that system IMO compared to the XCD and S lenses, especially with OIS (2 out of 3) and the focal length range.

Jeff

• 1 year later...

I have a Leica SL (1st gen), M10 and X1D. And if I could only keep one camera the X1D would be it, despite all my love for Leicas.  

It is slow, its EVF is not the best in the world and its battery life is poor. But it is still the best camera body I ever had my hands on. And the way it renders light with its huge sensor with large pixels is just out of this world.

Also each X1D is individually calibrated to its sensor, so it leaves the factory with half-gig of profiling data. I've heard of no other brand doing anything like that. As a result its images are stellar even compared to Fuji GFX with the same sensor. The X1D colors just look so much more rich nuanced and correct compared to anything else.

• Like 2