X1D

nunnzzzz

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I need another camera like a large hole in my head but when this first came out I was impressed by its weight compared to the S or even the SL. What turned me off were the reports of its initial performance and lots of bugs. The consensus was that Hasselblad released the camera way too early before all of the software was finalized. Not sure it is the best way to introduce a new camera but they did. I have read where more folks now like the X1D and I guess sales have suffered because of the initial reports. I am really tempted but as I said I need another camera like a LARGE hold in my head.

The wife says if I get this, I cannot have that new Porsche!!!!! :lol:

Bill

I just talked to my wife and she says as long as she can get a iPhone X she is cool..........But the problem is if I get any more holes in my head I will look like a cheese garter

Thinking

Neil

PS And for all the Nay Sayers...........I do not have GAS and never have............I just have a few nice toys to play with :) :) :) 

Edited by NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
  • Like 4

Bill

I just talked to my wife and she says as long as she can get a iPhone X she is cool..........But the problem is if I get any more holes in my head I will look like a cheese garter

Thinking

Neil

PS And for all the Nay Sayers...........I do not have GAS and never have............I just have a few nice toys to play with :) :) :)

Neil,

Good thing is the wife is getting the iPhone X for Christmas but does not know that. Maybe that GAS can escape through the large hole in my head. By my calculations, the X1D with a 45 lens attached weighs less than the S body without lens. Weight is a real problem at this point in my life and I like to hike with a nice camera. I am almost 70 and have had scoliosis from birth in my upper back. It can be very painful at times just sitting never mind trying to carry around a camera and a couple of lenses. I managed to carry the SL with 24-70 around Scotland for two weeks but it is was a struggle at times. Decisions Decisions....!

If weight is a concern you'll love the X1D. Both light and brilliantly ergonomic. You are correct that the body and 45 is lighter than the S body alone. And a 3 lens kit is 2.6kg.

Also consider a waist clip rather than a strap, when carrying the camera. Something like the Peak Design. I'm younger and fit but still get sore carrying two camera for 12 hours at  a wedding. Waist mounting has changed everything. I'll never go back.

Gordon

• Like 1

Thanks Gordon,

I have been reading reviews of the X1D this afternoon. There is a very interesting one from Outdoor Photographer. i hesitate to post a link in case we overstep the use of this forum for another camera brand. Even if I were to buy the X1D I would never abandon my roots which are Leica and have been for the past 30+ years.

Bill,

A wonderful morning in the Dallas metro ...

And I was out with the X1D ... it worked with dodgy firmware ... ever better today.

I moved from the S series of cameras and miss the OVF but nothing else.

I use a Q when traveling with the wife ... as her priority is anything but photography.

Bob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well things move pretty quick in the oilfield and its good to be able to jump onto a bargain when they pop up, so unless there is a hiccup between now and when i get home I could  be shooting an X1D with 3 lenses (I believe they come in a nice little penguin case as well :) :)

Pictures to follow

Neil

• Like 2

Weight of the X1D is amazing.

It feels much more “M” than “S” series in that sense. The grip (handle and the material’s texture) of the X1D is also a delight.

In comparison, when I try the SL even with non-zoom native glass (its 50mm 1.4) it feels very similar in bulk and weight to an S + 70mm. For that weight, I personally can see little point in the SL when the S gives far higher image quality. I actually think the handgrip of the S is more ergonomic for me, adding to the feeling of “why not just use an S007”?

Image quality is not something I’ve “tested” at all, but the X1D and S 007 gave me a similar gut response of very deep color tonality, similar resolution capture etc. Both far eclipsing 35mm FF cameras like my Leica M 240 or M10. I did large pro-lab prints (30”x40” through to 40”x60” off both the X1D and S007). I disagree with people that think the S has to be superior for image quality, I just didn’t personally get to that same conclusion. That said, what is amazing is how much Leica have extracted in resolution from “just” a 38mp sensor.

The biggest difference between X1D and S007 are fairly clear in my view, ie, in order of Hassie X1D vs Leica S .....

1) “5x4’ish” sensor shape vs “3x2”

2) Lower weight vs heavier

3) Smaller body/lens vs larger

4) EVF vs OVF

5) Slower in use vs blazingly fast

6) Slower lenses (for now) vs fast lenses

7) Cheaper vs much pricier (new at least. A new X1D + 45mm is potentially similarish to a used S007+70mm)

8) Video (not 4K) vs 4k

Of course, as and when the Leica S gets a higher megapixel and newer sensor, combined with its amazing glass, then I daresay any views I currently have on image quality could easily change!

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Weight of the X1D is amazing.

It feels much more “M” than “S” series in that sense. The grip (handle and the material’s texture) of the X1D is also a delight.

In comparison, when I try the SL even with non-zoom native glass (its 50mm 1.4) it feels very similar in bulk and weight to an S + 70mm. For that weight, I personally can see little point in the SL when the S gives far higher image quality. I actually think the handgrip of the S is more ergonomic for me, adding to the feeling of “why not just use an S007”?

Image quality is not something I’ve “tested” at all, but the X1D and S 007 gave me a similar gut response of very deep color tonality, similar resolution capture etc. Both far eclipsing 35mm FF cameras like my Leica M 240 or M10. I did large pro-lab prints (30”x40” through to 40”x60” off both the X1D and S007). I disagree with people that think the S has to be superior for image quality, I just didn’t personally get to that same conclusion. That said, what is amazing is how much Leica have extracted in resolution from “just” a 38mp sensor.

The biggest difference between X1D and S007 are fairly clear in my view, ie, in order of Hassie X1D vs Leica S .....

1) “5x4’ish” sensor shape vs “3x2”

2) Lower weight vs heavier

3) Smaller body/lens vs larger

4) EVF vs OVF

5) Slower in use vs blazingly fast

6) Slower lenses (for now) vs fast lenses

7) Cheaper vs much pricier (new at least. A new X1D + 45mm is potentially similarish to a used S007+70mm)

8) Video (not 4K) vs 4k

Of course, as and when the Leica S gets a higher megapixel and newer sensor, combined with its amazing glass, then I daresay any views I currently have on image quality could easily change!

John

I've been trying to say that all along, that's why I sold the SL...................for me its all about IQ and after shooting and owning a S camera system its hard to go back to FF or  AMEX.

I have been looking at the Hasselblad Facebook pages and also Flipper...................There are some very talented photographers out there shooting with the X1D and the files look as good if not better than what I can get now with the S system especially when it comes to the colours, maybe Focus has something to do with the color rendering, I don't know and don't really care.............I love the Hasselblad colours or as we say on the street "The Hasselblad Magic".

I am also fully aware that it takes more than a good camera system to make a pleasing picture, but as always I am happy to give it a blast.............hell if I don't get on with it then someone out there somewhere will pick up a bargain in a few weeks time :) :)

As for the size and weight thing, the S system works perfectly with the Black rabbit strap, so I'm not buying to loose a few kilios (I could do with doing that mind you) But to have a sexy X!D hanging off your shoulder verses a Brick.................that's right up Neil D Williams street :) :)

Pictures to follow

Neil

I have not used either of these systems but am interested in digital MF, especially as I'm going to the US Southwest National Parks in March/April next year, and maybe Iceland later in the year. 

An X1D with 30, 45 and 890mm lenses is less than a new S007 body alone. The difference in cost between an X1D and 3 lens system and Leica S007 and 3 lens system pays for a lot of travel.

Is the difference between the output of the two systems really night and day?

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have not used either of these systems but am interested in digital MF, especially as I'm going to the US Southwest National Parks in March/April next year, and maybe Iceland later in the year. 

An X1D with 30, 45 and 890mm lenses is less than a new S007 body alone. The difference in cost between an X1D and 3 lens system and Leica S007 and 3 lens system pays for a lot of travel.

Is the difference between the output of the two systems really night and day?

The thing to have in the back of your mind mark is that if you go out and buy a X!D tomorrow you can guarantee Leica will come out with a new S008. If you buy into the S system Hasselblad will come out with a 100 MP X2D..................decisions decisions decisions

Neil

I'm seriously close to jumping in on the X1D too. I've been interested since the start and have been incredibly impressed with the IQ, the colour, and lens quality and the camera is, I think, the future of designs and the new paradigm. The firmware updates have really been taking care of the early issues and I'm impressed with how quickly the updates have come - they are committed. I've been a very long time Hasselblad user and have always found their support and reliability absolutely top tier.

The cost of the field kit with 3 lenses is the cost of the S 007 body alone. That in itself makes it a very easy decision. The new lenses sound awesome. Nikon TTL flash is a major plus too.

Sorry Leica, have been holding on for as long as I can.

Edited by Paul J

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm seriously close to jumping in on the X1D too. I've been interested since the start and have been incredibly impressed with the IQ, the colour, and lens quality and the camera is, I think, the future of designs and the new paradigm. The firmware updates have really been taking care of the early issues and I'm impressed with how quickly the updates have come - they are committed. I've been a very long time Hasselblad user and have always found their support and reliability absolutely top tier.

The cost of the field kit with 3 lenses is the cost of the S 007 body alone. That in itself makes it a very easy decision. The new lenses sound awesome. Nikon TTL flash is a major plus too.

Sorry Leica, have been holding on for as long as I can.

Paul

My mate Raymond has the kit in his shop..............were just negotioning the price for my D5 and a few Prim lenses and if we are both in agreement then I will get the kit when I get home in 3 weeks time

Neil

Paul

My mate Raymond has the kit in his shop..............were just negotioning the price for my D5 and a few Prim lenses and if we are both in agreement then I will get the kit when I get home in 3 weeks time

Neil

Nice! Good luck with the negotiations, look forward to hearing about how you find it.

By the way - I hear if you have the camera set to RAW+JPG it's quite a bit slower than shooting RAW only.

What would be the effective focal length with a Otus 55mm on the X1D 44, 55 or 66??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughly 44mm equivalent FOV in 35mm format.

The 55 Otus is more than twice the weight and almost twice the length of the native XCD 45, and without weather sealing, AF, reversible hood, etc.

I'm content to wait for the next version of the X1D.... fine IQ and great form factor, but not there yet for me in other respects, despite FW updates.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Bill,

A wonderful morning in the Dallas metro ...

And I was out with the X1D ... it worked with dodgy firmware ... ever better today.

I moved from the S series of cameras and miss the OVF but nothing else.

I use a Q when traveling with the wife ... as her priority is anything but photography.

Bob

Bob,

You are killing me. My wife has no problem with my photography as long as I leave her out of the frame....!

Paul

Neil

Neil,

You move fast when you make a decision. I am the same way but have not made a decision yet....Need to today if I want it by Christmas.