X1D

nunnzzzz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an S007 and all the lenses but am anxious for more mP and possibly even a camera with less weight so I decided to order a Hasselblad X1D. I went thru a complex serious of tests and comparisons. Bottom-line is the X1D failed miserably and I am returning it today. No where near the S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have an S007 and all the lenses but am anxious for more mP and possibly even a camera with less weight so I decided to order a Hasselblad X1D. I went thru a complex serious of tests and comparisons. Bottom-line is the X1D failed miserably and I am returning it today. No where near the S

Can you elaborate, please.

I went thru a series of a dozen or so side by side comparisons with the settings in each camera virtually the same. Not only did i choose a winner for each test but I asked other people to vote as well. There were very tests where the vote was not 100% Leica s as the winner. Other things I did not like about X1D were the delays in the electronic shutter after each shot and the difficulty obtaining spot on focusing. I really love the joy stick on the S that i use for all focusing. I also hated the fact that I needed to abandon Lightroom and use their Phocus software instead. On the positive side, the Hassy is 50% of the weight of the S and looks awesome.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went thru a series of a dozen or so side by side comparisons with the settings in each camera virtually the same. Not only did i choose a winner for each test but I asked other people to vote as well. There were very tests where the vote was not 100% Leica s as the winner. 

"There weren't any tests where the vote was not 100% Leica S as the winner" or "There were many tests where the vote was not 100% Leica S as the winner"? Or better said (if this was the case), "Leica was the hands-down winner on every test."

"There weren't any tests where the vote was not 100% Leica S as the winner" or "There were many tests where the vote was not 100% Leica S as the winner"? Or better said (if this was the case), "Leica was the hands-down winner on every test."

there were tests that were not 100% but the majority were 100%

there were tests that were not 100% but the majority were 100%

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't used the X1D, but it does seem that it is nowhere near the S in a lot of ways. I don't think that Leica gets enough credit for being as innovative as it is.

Thanks for clearing that up. I haven't used the X1D, but it does seem that it is nowhere near the S in a lot of ways. 

But the X1D sells and has momentum... and the S really doesn't...

Obviously price has a lot to do with it... $19K for the S body is just too ridiculous for words IMHO...  I very much would like to meet the marketing genius who not too long ago upped the price with $2.5K...

By "soften" do you mean to justify an even higher price for the S008 or to make its (hopefully) lower MSRP seem like a bargain?

Pure speculation on my side, but yes, it is safer to assume a high, possibly very higj, rather than modest/low cost for S008, as for most of the Leica items...

If, for instance, the S008 gets a sensor a la that of the TL2, with impressive image qualities, including at very low light, AND many of the features of the alredy outstanding SL, the S008 will sell, also with a very high price tag, albeit not in the high numbers of X1D.

As a small company, Leica cannot (and will not) release new versions very often, so the company has to enter the market at the right time and with the right product. As we all know, low market price is not the single most important parameter for Leica...

I would think that the time for the S008 should be sooner rather than later. But only Leica (and possibly testers) know the tech and specs of a new body.

The latter have to be interesting, if not superior in all aspects, compared to the existing market offerings. So although the timing is now-ish, also the tech & spec must be sufficiently interesting to serve the market for, lets say, 5+ years.

In addition, Leica has to ensure that the new product works (it must be very expensive to constantly upgrade products due to construction or production issues), and Leica needs to improve on the support/repair side.

Lots of people have the very fine S glass, and many will upgrade IF the tech & specs are 'correct'. Also if the cost is high, even very high in comparison with X1D & co.

I have both the X1D and S007 and S2. I can not agree with your conclusions.

And the X1D works perfectly fine with Lightroom.

Gordon

p.s. there was yet another firmware update this week for the Hasselblad that added some nice features and improved functionality.

i never tried the X1d with Lightroom only commenting that Hasselblad advises Phocus for best performance

I am a bit confused why they compare the X1D to the Nikon and Sony. I assumed that the Sony 50c sensor was installed in the Pentax 645z, Phase one digital backs and Hasselblad H. It's a known sensor, even old in 2017.

My friend bought the X1D and uses it alongside his Pentax. He does not see serious differences between the two. I know that several users on this board had a lot of personal experience with those cameras. Maybe they will chime in?