portrait lens for m8

freemindghost

I like to "play" with my lenses and perspectives. Actually I use an 85mm /100mm Lens on my 5d Mk2. But I don't want to use it. My shooting-style depends on my coffee in the morning an the mood I have while I play with my model...

Canon: 100mm :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica 35mm(*1.33):

I want to be able to make pictures like the first one with the Leica.

I hope I can show and explain what I mean.

Thx

Micha

Edited by freemindghost

Your Canon is slr, M8 is / has rangefinder and the 75 mm marks may be a little bit too small and there are not much alternative lenses arround. 90 mm might be a little bit too long, frame in the finder is small. Try some 50 mm with caracter or signature like Summilux, Sonnar-type or other vintage lense.

Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM it is an L39 screw thread for Leica, you will need to use an adapter ring with it to convert it to M mount, It is a rangefinder lens. They also made a cheaper 1.4 version and a seriously expensive f0.95 version.. The f1.2 sells for around £400

To get the similar look to your canon shot about, it looks like a 90mm summicron would do the job, the older version can be had for around £600 or less.

Edited by Marac

LTM is M39. LTM stands for Leica Thread Mount. An LTM or M39 lens which properly focuses on a screw mount Leica (or similar camera) will focus on an M type camera as well. All my LTM lenses do, among them several by Leica, two by Jupiter, one by Canon.

I have several adapters that are made by Leica, some by Voigtländer. It's important to use an adapter made for the focal length of the lens. Otherwise, your camera will show the wrong framelines in the rangefinder. Those adapters are not difficult to find. Just look for "LTM to M adapter 50mm", or whatever your focal length happens to be.

Perspective depends only on relative positions of the camera and subject... For pleasing portraits, a distance of about 5 or 6 feet is a good choice, though closer or farther can suit different face shapes. Farther minimizes the size of the nose but shows the ears more, for instance. So, having chosen a subject distance, choose a focal length to get the framing you wish. Longer focal length for tight portraits like your first sample. Wider for a waist-up framing, and even wider for full length portraits. This seems to be a productive way to think about it! :)

Doug

• Like 1

a thightly framed shot with longer focal length from a distance is a different kind of photography than using a rangefinder. get some experience with your M8 and then try some portraits with M8. some remarks on adapters, if the lens has an infinty-lock the adapter needs a cutout, some lenses with same ltm-mount are for different cameras and have a different register length.

Perspective depends only on relative positions of the camera and subject... For pleasing portraits, a distance of about 5 or 6 feet is a good choice, though closer or farther can suit different face shapes. Farther minimizes the size of the nose but shows the ears more, for instance. So, having chosen a subject distance, choose a focal length to get the framing you wish. Longer focal length for tight portraits like your first sample. Wider for a waist-up framing, and even wider for full length portraits. This seems to be a productive way to think about it! :)

Doug

Yes you‘re right about the perspektiv. I think i have lend an longer focal lens to tried it out. Maybe its an nice way for my an my m8 or i have to use my 5D fot this kinds of portraits of face pictures. 5 or 6 feed, this should be, 1,5m -1,8 m is mostly to far for me. „If is not good enought , your are not close enought“

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Ok ...i had an old m39 lens with adapter but i cant focus..of course not...so i thought it the same problem

LTM is M39, but M39 mustn't be always LTM as some other producers of lenses used it for different optical items.

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/confused-m39-l39-lsm-ltm.167902/

There are still some older lenses from third-party manufacturers, though having an LTM connector, are without coupling the range control by the rangefinder camera.
And then there are a lot of old LTM lenses, whose range control has unfortunately become defective.

a thightly framed shot with longer focal length from a distance is a different kind of photography than using a rangefinder. get some experience with your M8 and then try some portraits with M8. some remarks on adapters, if the lens has an infinty-lock the adapter needs a cutout, some lenses with same ltm-mount are for different cameras and have a different register length.

I use the m8 now for 9 month, round about. I use a 35*1.33 an an 25*1.33. i love both lenses, but its not close enought for me sometimes. I think i will try 50*1.33,75*1.33 and an 90*1.33 to find my lens for my kind of photography. I use the m8 as an utility like i used my 5d. I want to replace my 5d if its possible.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

If 100mm lenses work for you on FF cameras you should try a 75mm on the M8. The Summilux 75/1.4 is a special lens on the M8 (see below) and the Summicron 75/2 is rather expensive but the Summarit 75/2.5 can be found at affordable prices and is really excellent. Only con its 0.9m minimum focus distance but the later Summarit 75/2.4 is 0.7m. Beware that 75/2, 75/2.4 and 75/2.5 are sharp lenses though. For soft portrait the Summilux 75/1.4 is a must but is more expensive and its minimum focus distance is only 1m. It is also a bulky lens and a 1.25x or preferably 1.40x optical magnifier is recommended on the M8 especially at f/1.4 where the rangefinder alone is not accurate enough to focus accurately.

Edit: The M8 can hardly compete with the 5D as far as digital noise is concerned. Better consider 640 iso as a maximum on the Leica. But you know this already if you have an M8.

Edited by lct
  • Like 3