portrait lens for m8

freemindghost

When I used M8, my best portrait lens was Summarit 1.5/50 or Summilux 1.4/50 first formula (almost same rendering as Summarit at 1.5/1.4 to f/2.8) .

Nice with light spots in backgraw thanks to round aperture opening.

Eventually, I used x1.25 or x1.4 magnifier on M8 to have more accurate focus and bigger finder to compose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If 100mm lenses work for you on FF cameras you should try a 75mm on the M8. The Summilux 75/1.4 is a special lens on the M8 (see below) and the Summicron 75/2 is rather expensive but the Summarit 75/2.5 can be found at affordable prices and is really excellent. Only con its 0.9m minimum focus distance but the later Summarit 75/2.4 is 0.7m. Beware that 75/2, 75/2.4 and 75/2.5 are sharp lenses though. For soft portrait the Summilux 75/1.4 is a must but is more expensive and its minimum focus distance is only 1m. It is also a bulky lens and a 1.25x or preferably 1.40x optical magnifier is recommended on the M8 especially at f/1.4 where the rangefinder alone is not accurate enough to focus accurately.

Edit: The M8 can hardly compete with the 5D as far as digital noise is concerned. Better consider 640 iso as a maximum on the Leica. But you know this already if you have an M8.

I suggest 75mm with an M8. I bought and still have a 75mm Summarit which is a fine lens on the m8. If it is too sharp for your purposes, it is possible selectively to soften in PP. 

Another vote for the 75/2.5 Summarit. Its effective EFL on the M8 is 100mm, which for me anyway is a great portrait lens focal length. Also, I agree it’s an excellent performance/cost value.

Edited by cobbu2

50,75 or 90 depends on how close you may or how far you need to go from your model to get to an intimous picture like example#1

you could try a 50 lens and live with cropping if necessary, or take a 75 and crop your 35 when 50 is necessary. there is no such thing as "the" one and only answer to the question.

but remember, that focussing becomes more and more difficult the longer the lens gets when you are using the rangefinder fpr focussing.

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry I'm late to answer for f-word Boy :), sold my M8, just because I have M-E. 

For portraits this close Elmar 90 f4 will do. Those are less expensive Leitz made lenses. Elmar-M 90/4 is also one of the best lens by the build. And it is $150 lens.

Summarit 75 will also do, but it is more expensive lens with rubber focus ring.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I use most of the time 50mm lenses for portraits even though I own many superb lenses with longer reach. The 50mm lens allows me more flexibility in the composition and such lenses usually can be used at low ISO for best results.