Thinking of switching to M10

Big John

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M10 rangefinder was out from new too, and not an internet purchase. But I agree that the 10 is best yet.

So this is second M10 out of rangefinder calibration from new :o .

What have you done to your M10's rangefinder ?

Adjust yourself or sent it to be adjusted ?

Hi a.noctiux, 

I asked Leica Mayfair London to check it was not my eyesight. They confirmed the problem and took the body off me to send to Germany. As its only a couple of months old I was ok with that. 

Going by the very, very few mentions of rangefinder focus issues on the M10 in this form, much fewer than say the M8 at a similar stage of its development, I'd say that M10 rangefinder issues are rare. Rarer than other digital Ms. The engineer at Leica Mayfair said this was his experience too, he was surprised. 

Alan

PS: The larger viewfinder does seem to me to demand I centre my eye in it. I think this may only be an issue if you have an astigmatism. 

• Like 1

There is a vast difference between QC on a hand-assembled product and a roboticized process. With an automatic assembly line one pulls one product in a thousand off and tests it to destruction, as production errors are systematic; human errors are random, so one would need one inspector per worker to cover 100%. And even then, who would inspect the inspectors?

Having been in quality control for many years, I can testify  that 100% inspection is NOT a guarantee of quality.   Quality being defined as meeting engineering specification.  When Demming went to Japan after the war,  it was to sell his concept of quality & control charts to the Japanese because the Americans would not accept them.  The rest is history and USA lost.

Having been in quality control for many years, I can testify that 100% inspection is NOT a guarantee of quality. Quality being defined as meeting engineering specification. When Demming went to Japan after the war, it was to sell his concept of quality & control charts to the Japanese because the Americans would not accept them. The rest is history and USA lost.

QC check on post.... the name is Deming.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Have had an SL and the 24-90 for 18 months, great camera and wonderful IQ but the size/weight means I am not using it as much as I could. I am thinking of moving to the M but have a couple of considerations on which I would appreciate some advice from owners.

Rangefinder robustness - I have read too many threads where people have had to get their RF adjusted or sent back to Leica to get adjusted, is the M10 any more robust? Is RF calibration really an issue?

As I have been shooting mirrorless for some years now (range of Fujis before this, my first Leica), I would need the comfort blanket of the EVF on the M10. I cant find much information on the Visoflex (Type 020), can anyone compare it to the SL EVF?

Thanks.

Coming back to the original question - my suggestion would be to try an M10 for a few days, which camera works best for one is strongly a matter of personal taste.

The M10 is for me an outstanding camera, but I've learned to live with the quirks of rangefinders since more than a decade. Some people might also prefer to have an autofocus option for some situations. With the M, you are stuck with quite some legacy stuff, which does not bother me, but might not be your cup of tea.

Since you indicated that you would mainly use the digital viewfinder, the Visoflex might be a slight disappointment when coming from the SL. Firstly, because I haven't seen a better electronic viewfinder than the SL's, secondly, because the Visoflex on an M is to my taste not at the perfect position.

In case you are looking for an every day carry camera , the Q might be be worth a look as well.

Don't get me wrong, for me, Leica rangefinders are the tool of choice, and then, when trying out the M10, you might catch the rangefinder virus.

Stefan

Edited by StS

The EVF on the SL is unmatched at the current moment; adding the Visoflex to the M10 is an acceptable crutch but is not comparable in my view.  If you are not reliant TTL viewing for focusing and ready to use an OVF and RF then you may want to consider switching over to the M10.  If you plan to use the VIsoflex as your main composition and focus tool with the M10 perhaps you should stick with the SL.  Perhaps getting some M lenses and the M/SL adapter to cut the weight may be another path.  I use my SL with M lenses only at this time and really enjoy the shooting experience with the smaller footprint. 

• Like 1