Black Rabbit RS sling strap on the S..............anyone dared to try it??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Neil,

I agree about the strap getting in the way in Portrait. When there is a bottom attachment point (like the RRS SL plate), I like to put both peak designs ends on that so the strap gets out of the way. I'd probably like the Black Rapids one fine for that reason - just haven't tried it yet.

-Matt

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil,

I agree about the strap getting in the way in Portrait. When there is a bottom attachment point (like the RRS SL plate), I like to put both peak designs ends on that so the strap gets out of the way. I'd probably like the Black Rapids one fine for that reason - just haven't tried it yet.

-Matt

Matt I will try that as I like the feel of the Peak Design strap on my shoulder.........if it doesn't work I will just use the Black Rabbit as long as the screw will go in the RRS plate

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

The RRS SL plate has a QD mount, but the S plate didn't - is there a new RRS S plate?

In the end, I found the strap less comfortable, so went with Peak Designs connected to a single point on the plate bottom - it gives the same balance as the QD attachment, but isn't as quick to operate.

--Matt

RRS make a Arca style quck release clamp with a QD mount. I use that on the S. 

Gordon

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

RRS make a Arca style quck release clamp with a QD mount. I use that on the S. 

Gordon

Gordon

Can you confirm if the Black Rapid strap male screw will go into a female socket in the RRS plate..........if not I have a week to buy whatever is needed to make the two work together

Neil

Yep it will. All RRS plates have a 1/4" socket on them. Some have more than one. The Rapid Strap mounts are also 1/4 inch.

You'll need to unscrew the mount to use the plate on a tripod but that takes a few seconds.

Gordon

Yes, but the screw may be a bit long and not screw in completely. You may have to grind off one or two threads.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have used the Black Rapid straps for my two DMRs (R9 and R8), usually with a 180/2 Summicron and 50 cron. Worked perfectly and never let me down.

glad to hear that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I prefer a thin fiber one for secure grip. Grinding off 1 mm and polishing is no hassle. These screws are mostly brass anyway.

Jaap the black rapid strap lug screwed straight into the L plate without the need for any modification :)

Neil

• 3 weeks later...

I used Black Rapid’s strap with screw-in lug for quite a while. Never lost a camera, but occasionally the screw became loose. Got used to check it regularly. However, I have now switched to QD system which is IMO much more reliable and way faster to connect/remove. Fast removal is important when mounting the camera on tripod or storing it in the bag. It is possible to combine QD with older Black Rapid straps.

• Like 1

I used Black Rapid’s strap with screw-in lug for quite a while. Never lost a camera, but occasionally the screw became loose. Got used to check it regularly. However, I have now switched to QD system which is IMO much more reliable and way faster to connect/remove. Fast removal is important when mounting the camera on tripod or storing it in the bag. It is possible to combine QD with older Black Rapid straps.

+1 (based on experience with the S-system, as well with biggie lenses like 400mm f2.8 on pro DSLR).

• 1 month later...