Black Rabbit RS sling strap on the S..............anyone dared to try it??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question

Has anyone ever tried the $25k camera hanging upside down on the Black rabbit RS sling type strap. I bought the (cant remember the name of it) but I bought a sling type strap for my S and SL a few months back (the one with quick release small lugs that attach to the cameras ears)................its very cumphy but is a nightmare when you go and move from landscape to portrait.........the starp just gets in the way so I am concidering using an old RS sling strap that I used to use on my D4s which was fantastic

Neil

Try the Sun Sniper. I would trust that one with any weight of gear, provided you tighten the screw in the tripod hole properly.

The fixing ring slides along the strap, freeing the camera movement.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I’m going to give it a go and will add a secondary retention thingagbee just in case it wants to let go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Try the Sun Sniper. I would trust that one with any weight of gear, provided you tighten the screw in the tripod hole properly.

The fixing ring slides along the strap, freeing the camera movement.

Jaap

The Sun Sniper looks exactly like what my Black rapid looks like.

Question;

My S007 has a RRS L plate attached to it so the black rapid would attach to the RRS L plate via the 1/4' tripod socket..................... Where would I be able to have a secondary retention between the camera and strap. I'm thinking that I might be able to have some kind of cord that can go from the GPS side of the camera strap lug back to the Black Rapid strap close to where it attaches to the RRS plate. This way it wont impede when trying to take a picture but also stop the camera hitting the ground in the event that the Black rapid connection fails??

I'm currently offshore so not able to have a detailed check by myself :)

Neil

Jaap

Question;

My S007 has a RRS L plate attached to it so the black rapid would attach to the RRS L plate via the 1/4' tripod socket..................... Where would I be able to have a secondary retention between the camera and strap. I'm thinking that I might be able to have some kind of cord that can go from the GPS side of the camera strap lug back to the Black Rapid strap close to where it attaches to the RRS plate. This way it wont impede when trying to take a picture but also stop the camera hitting the ground in the event that the Black rapid connection fails??

Neil

Why keep the RRS plate on?  You cannot use it (landscape format) with that strap attached....

john

I have RSS-plates on all of my bodies and also on the tripod collar for the big lenses (like larger zooms/400mm f2.8/500 f4).

RSS provides a system that is safe and handles more weight than most of us can carry: The Magpul Dual QD Sling, and with a small screw knob clamp (or this one) to be fixed to the sling and then tighten to any RSS (or most Arca Swiss) plates.

The sling fabric is somewhat stiff, but the system is safe and quick. I use it for the S-system as well as for longish tele lenses; no problem or concern at all. For long tele lenses, I often use two of these slings, for quick access to two lenses or camera systems.

The Black rapid system is fine and more comfortable than the Magpul sling, but I don't like using the tripod hole for screwing/unscrewing the sling, particularly when the use of a tripod is part of the mix.

Edited by helged
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Why keep the RRS plate on?  You cannot use it (landscape format) with that strap attached....

john

From what I remember John the strap is very easy to remove. Saying that most of the touristy places in japan wont allow you to use a tripod, hence I am renting a car and will also go out into rural Japan to find nice autumn locations to shoot so the camera will be lying on the back seat of the car most of the time until I find a nice location then shoot drive shoot..........that kind of stuff

Neil

Jaap

Question;

Neil

actually I only use it with long lenses; the strap goes into the lens socket. I use the camera strap as secondary strap and can carry the lens disconnected from the camera.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Gordon are you saying that the black rabbit thread is different to that that is on the bottom of the RRS plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RRS SL plate has a QD mount, but the S plate didn't - is there a new RRS S plate?

In the end, I found the strap less comfortable, so went with Peak Designs connected to a single point on the plate bottom - it gives the same balance as the QD attachment, but isn't as quick to operate.

--Matt

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The RRS SL plate has a QD mount, but the S plate didn't - is there a new RRS S plate?

In the end, I found the strap less comfortable, so went with Peak Designs connected to a single point on the plate bottom - it gives the same balance as the QD attachment, but isn't as quick to operate.

--Matt

Matt I have the Peak Design strap on my S007 right now.......what I don't like is the strap gets in the way when I lift the camera to my face especially when I go to Portrait with the camera......thats why I'm thinking of the Black Rabbit

Neil