M10 Image Artifacts

StratmanGS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thee are extracts of files from a new M10. In the Rodin there is a set of diagonal white lines across the face and arm area of the statue. This appears on the camera LCD so it is not an artifact of Lightroom import.  In the other image I seem to have "smearing" of color from the drinking cup into the surrounding area. 

I never had any such issues with my M9 but before I start shipping the camera to Leica (or more likely back to the dealer) I want to make sure that there isn't some obvious kind of user error at play here?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is the Rodin. I apologize but I am reluctant to post the other as it is a photo of my grandchild. The part of the image to the right of what I have cropped is actually quite beautiful. It is just the left side of the image that has the "smudging". Resolution of the eyes, hair and skin are perfect.

Thank you for being willing to look at these.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

It's the lens, not the camera.

Umm, wait—it might be a dirty sensor ... a very dirty sensor. But if so then it should be visible. If the sensor is clean then it's a problem with the lens. Has it received a jolt recently?

Edited by 01af

I will have the camera clean the sensor although the camera is almost new so it would be very surprising if that were the problem.  It would also happen in every image but it doesn't.Also nothing untoward has happened to the lens recently. It would also be extremely surprising if a defect in the lens produced a line like a scratch on film of the kind in the Rodin photo.   

I will also take some shots with the Summicron 35 and see if the problem occurs there too.  I will report back. 

Ummm - you can't make the camera clean the sensor, with a Leica digital. The "sensor cleaning" function simply opens the shutter so that you can inspect or clean the sensor yourself.

And those cameras that do clean the sensor by vibrating it (e.g. most others than Leica these days), only shake loose dust particles - they won't remove a smear. That requires physically cleaning the surface with a solvent and/or wipe of some kind.

Your smeared blurs have the hallmarks of something like a smeared fingerprint (skin oil) on either the sensor cover glass, or the camera lens, or a filter on the camera lens. Anywhere in the light path from subject to silicon.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/52/42/e3/5242e3441a1ecfd55234740b54568965.jpg

Because fingerprints leave ridges or stripes of grease, the smear is emphasized in one direction (rather than a generalized blur). At 90 degrees to the streaks on the glass. Thus the linear/diagonal nature of the smearing.

Edited by adan

Whist it is quite common for a sensor to pick up dirt when new, these images are untypical. Check the rear element of your lens ( dirt on the front won’t show up ). A sensor defect does not depend on aperture, dirt will only show at small apertures .

Mail the files to Leica for evaluation.

Dirty rear element, can't be anything else... front element dirt doesn't show up like this. 

Not a camera fault at all, I'm 100% sure... unless you smeared vaseline over the sensor ;) 

• Like 1