What is the future of the X line?

Archiver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But what is the advantage of a fixed lens as long as the combo body+interchangable lens isnt any bigger?

The advantage is simplicity. Point, frame, focus and take. Oh and portability, without a bag full of lenses. 

I used to carry a backpack, I now carry a Billigham Hadley small, with only the X and the Sofort in it. And when I walk, the Billingham insert goes in my backpack with just the X in it. Lightweight and compact. room for my other gear without weighing in too heavy.

Edited by DS1969
  • Like 2

There is a chap who is linked to a Leica dealer sort of suggesting that a CL fixed camera variation may appear next year, as Leica accepts some of its user base do not want interchangeable lens cameras.. like myself. Maybe something that answers our prayers will come. An EVF in the X113, with an upgraded sensor and AF module would satisfy my need.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up (that's all) a CL at the Leica store in London, and it's pretty close in size to the X2. Very nice. It's really tempting, though most of what I'd shoot with it I shoot with my X2 now, and the prints I get from the X2 are quite good. The electric viewfinder of the CL looks good, though.

• Like 1

Its possible to precisely match the performance of the Lens to the Sensor.

Takes us back to the I Model A and the I Model C (non standardised) where the 50mm lens had to be matched with the particular camera on which it is mounted. Some technicians still do this by using the little hole at the back with a ground glass screen and putting shims behind the lens. I was not aware up to now that this could be done with a digital camera. Standardised Leica mounts have only been around since 1931. I suppose they might perfect it some day.

William

Edited by willeica

• 3 weeks later...

There is a chap who is linked to a Leica dealer sort of suggesting that a CL fixed camera variation may appear next year, as Leica accepts some of its user base do not want interchangeable lens cameras.. like myself. Maybe something that answers our prayers will come. An EVF in the X113, with an upgraded sensor and AF module would satisfy my need.

A CQ? Not a bad idea, maybe. But I do think the CL has killed the X Vario concept.

APS-C I guess. Something like an X2 with a wider lens and the CL sensor

Heaven forbid.... :( .  Bought a mint X2 some months ago, and love it.  Only thing I would want for change is a *longer* lens, about 50 mm equivalent.  Absolutely not shorter!

I even have a wild idea about a manually retractable lens, similar to the classical Elmar 50, that one took the responsibility to handle as needed, not the camera retracting it after a few minutes...

Don´t know if that soution would be compatible with AF, but OTOH why not?

Edited by elgenper

• 1 month later...

I would suggest that the sensor would be the current CL sensor.

I would go for the same 35mm lens, or similar, to the X 113, and then add the option to shoot digitally at 50mm ala the Q, and thus you cover off two options in one hit.. where as the Q does 3, 28mm 35mm and 50mm using a digital zoom option.

Heaven forbid.... :( .  Bought a mint X2 some months ago, and love it.  Only thing I would want for change is a *longer* lens, about 50 mm equivalent.  Absolutely not shorter!

I even have a wild idea about a manually retractable lens, similar to the classical Elmar 50, that one took the responsibility to handle as needed, not the camera retracting it after a few minutes...

Don´t know if that soution would be compatible with AF, but OTOH why not?

I would suggest that the sensor would be that of the current CL. 

To draw in the 50mm brigade, I would use a solution similar to the Q, the digital option for other lenses. 

I would suggest that the sensor would be the current CL sensor.

I would go for the same 35mm lens, or similar, to the X 113, and then add the option to shoot digitally at 50mm ala the Q, and thus you cover off two options in one hit.. where as the Q does 3, 28mm 35mm and 50mm using a digital zoom option.

This is an error, think I pressed the wrong button - oops. my apologies.