What is the future of the X line?

Archiver

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica seem to be devoting more attention to the development of the M, SL and TL camera systems, and have paid less and less attention to the X line.  The original X1 became the X2 and then X-E.  The Vario has been discontinued and Leica stated that it won't be getting a new model.  The X 113 doesn't seem to be faring much better with no upgrade in sight and no firmware upgrades, either.

Is there any sign of the X line developing further, or will Leica maintain the remaining models and then quietly drop them from production?  This would be quite a shame as I think large sensor fixed lens cameras are useful and have a lot of potential.

I think the customer reaction to the rather inept introduction of the X-Vario ended a floundering line. If it had been accepted for the rather brilliant camera it was, we would have seen further development.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think the customer reaction to the rather inept introduction of the X-Vario ended a floundering line. If it had been accepted for the rather brilliant camera it was, we would have seen further development.

Well, I accepted the X-Vario (a mint used one, admittedly) as a modern version of my other Leica, a Digilux 2. Both cover my ideal focal length range and have the advantage of each being an all-in-one unit, so no lens changing. For what I want, perfect - I can concentrate on the images.

• Like 1

I think the X line is dead, specially if there is a TL eith evf in the horizon.

If some leaks realized you might be wrong:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/277986-what-is-the-future-of-the-x-line/?p=3391637

If one thinks about it, X+TL+SL-viewfinder makes much more sense than seeing the bodies seperately.

Edited by UliWer

The 4 X's have fixed lens.

A TL with an integrated viewfinder is coming, so an X also with viewfinder, same sensor, and same TL mount makes little sense, they would be practically the same camera. Probably those pictures are from the new TL, not an X.

• 2 weeks later...

The 4 X's have fixed lens.

A TL with an integrated viewfinder is coming, so an X also with viewfinder, same sensor, and same TL mount makes little sense, they would be practically the same camera. Probably those pictures are from the new TL, not an X.

The fate of prophets... ;)

I still get a lot of use from my X2, it's the one that goes in my work backpack for a trip when there's not enough room for a M, and I get clean12x18 prints from the files it generates. B&H just got a shipment of batts for it, so I bought one (#3) as those are the components that tend to become scarce first, once support for the camera ends.

My favorite digital cameras are the X2 and X Vario, and I use them far more than my film cameras. For me, a 50mm (equivalent) X would have been ideal for a fixed focal length. Of course, the X Variio performs perfectly at 50mm (within its limitations), but something a bit faster at 50mm would be extremely useful.

I really liked the x1 and x2 and still own the x2. The next generation was (IMO) allready to big and lost the original idea for a compact camera with a large sensor.

M y guess is that the X-Line is given up for the TL line.

I think Canon shows with the G1xIII that it is still possible to build a really compact camera with a large sensor (and even with a small integrated EVF).

I do like the TL-system, but it does not offer the compactness of a X1/x2.

• Like 1

I am hoping that they use the CL body, and bolt on the X113 lens and sell that as an X - or something broadly similar. 

If Leica fails to do that, I will just continue with my X 113 - I love it, and see no reason to give it up, as the CL isn't what I want, nor is the TL. The alternative for me if a new X never materialise over the next new years will be to save for a Q, or by then probably the Q2

Bottom line for me is that i do not want interchangeable lenses. I have a DSLR for that.