Correcting exposure error by pushing film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have shot a film and then realised it was shot at 1/60 instead of 1/30!

I had intended to push the film anyway from 400 to 1600. I am using Ilfosol 3. 

Will I be able to rescue matters by pushing to 3200? If so does anybody know for how long to develop? I have successfully used 21 minutes for 400 at 1600. RH.

1/60 to 1/30 is only one stop yet you are talking about pushing three stops? What type of film is it and how many stops out were your exposures?

I recently accidentally shot a 400 film at 100 and successfully pulled it while processing recently, you really can't tell it wasn't exposed correctly.

Hi. I am already treating the 400 film as 1600 but then made the further "stop" error so I think I may have 3 stops to push. I think the answer might be 28 minutes 30 seconds.... 

Is HP5 film Mike

Edited by Guest

Hi. I am already treating the 400 film as 1600 but then made the further "stop" error so I think I may have 3 stops to push. I think the answer might be 28 minutes 30 seconds.... 

What brand film is it? Some will push better than others. I will say that Ilfosol 3 isn't the best developer for pushing, it enhances grain.

Edited by mikemgb

I caution everyone that the Massive Development chart has some serious errors. Some of the recommendations are from outliers who have no credibility. Take care.

Agreed. But I never use an untested film and developer combination for anything important and, in the absence of data from the manufacturers for a particular combination, it's as good a source for a starting point as anything else.

The real value of the MDC for me is the iPhone app that automates the time and temperature conversion to dial in the correct developing time and then functions as a really good timer.

• Like 1

I caution everyone that the Massive Development chart has some serious errors.

Some of the recommendations are from outliers who have no credibility.

Take care.

There are, but the ones I have come across so far are obvious enough they're easy to spot.