Leica M-A Negatives - Rounded corners?

Sorry for the delayed response. I just looked at my M-A negatives and I did notice that they do in fact have a very slight rounded edge on the corner of each frame. It isn’t enough to be a problem with composition I’ve found though but I haven’t done any darkroom prints with this camera yet.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed response. I just looked at my M-A negatives and I did notice that they do in fact have a very slight rounded edge on the corner of each frame. It isn’t enough to be a problem with composition I’ve found though but I haven’t done any darkroom prints with this camera yet.

I can imagine the fanciful idea that rounded corners may be an impediment to composition when using a digital camera where you get an accurate 100% view, so framing right up to the very edge is possible. But a rangefinder camera, really ?

Either print with the negatives black border to show how hard core you are regarding composition, or open to happy accidents at the frames edge, or in search of pure authenticity, or do as most photographers have done and crop the image a fraction, or a lot. 

Thiis is an iphone picture from a photo with original black border (filed negative carrier Leitz Focomat V35) and passepartout. Shot with my M-A & Summicron 35.

37147975474_94dbc81df1_c.jpg

37809477646_c1588d6524_c.jpg

24005359668_a8659441fd_c.jpg

24005359588_ac819daea1_c.jpg
Edited by Paul Verrips
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I checked my MP/M-A negatives and they have the same imperfect edges/corners. I can’t say I’d ever noticed previously.

My negs get ‘rectangularised’ in the enlarger/under the easel blades. I prefer my imperfections to be inside the frame, rather than the frame itself.

It’s an interesting observation though, now i know something new.

I checked my MP/M-A negatives and they have the same imperfect edges/corners. I can’t say I’d ever noticed previously.

My negs get ‘rectangularised’ in the enlarger/under the easel blades. I prefer my imperfections to be inside the frame, rather than the frame itself.

It’s an interesting observation though, now i know something new.

Good to hear that other M-A owners are observing the same thing with their negatives. It's not something I would have noticed either if I hadn't been trying to track down the source of the round corners on my prints.

Thanks to those who took the time to look closely at their negatives.

Edited by logan2z

• 5 years later...

Rounded corners on the film taken with my Leica M6 is how I am able to distinguish the film from those taken with my Nikons!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/23/2022 at 5:20 AM, Cristina said:

Rounded corners on the film taken with my Leica M6 is how I am able to distinguish the film from those taken with my Nikons!

not too different from mine. I have 3 MP and I recognize each of them from the wobbling borders. I recognize my R7 because of a center top spot and the rectangle slightly rotated, I recognize my R9 because the negative borders are perfect.

10 hours ago, sarav said:

not too different from mine. I have 3 MP and I recognize each of them from the wobbling borders. I recognize my R7 because of a center top spot and the rectangle slightly rotated, I recognize my R9 because the negative borders are perfect.

I am looking at myMA scanned negatives...  just not sure. Rounded like the image above....two appear to be but two appear to be square....  So nothing definitive and frankly, does it really matter and effect quality? I am not seeing this...but an interesting post, .... jim

All my Ms - M-A, MP, M7 etc etc have rounded edges.  Just look at the film gate.  I find it charming.

Edited by Huss