Profoto A1 (Nikon) and SL: Any experience?

Ingo

• 7 months later...
On 12/4/2017 at 5:36 AM, meerec said:

I'm definitely using the Nikon version on the SL ... Canon version would not work and could even probably damage the hot shoe.

I've used 2 x A1 and 1 x B2 lights ... all three working together. A1 in my SL hotshot and triggering the other two lights (A1 and B2) off camera using the built-in AIR trigger.

TTL is not really needed as it's easy to adjust the lights.

Here is an example.

24957454708_2750612357_n.jpg

It is not true that the Canon A1 doesn't work with the SL or CL.  As the manual states on p. 23:

"The A1 unit can be used on other camera brands in X-sync mode if the camera has a hot shoewithacentralpositionedsynccontact.Thisisstandardformostcamerastoday.In thismodethecamerawillbeafullmanualflashwithoutTTL-orHSScompatibility.Other functions that are controlled from the camera will also be disabled."

I have successfully used the Canon version of the A1 on both an SL and CL in basic manual mode without problem. No TTL, no HSS, but the flash via its  basic, manual mode  works just fine. But you have to turn Sync options on p. 2 of the flash settings to X-Sync and you should also upgrade the A1 to the latest firmware release. Updating fixed all kinds of problems.

Edited by Ron Weissman

• 10 months later...
On 10/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, Ron Weissman said:

It is not true that the Canon A1 doesn't work with the SL or CL.  As the manual states on p. 23:

"The A1 unit can be used on other camera brands in X-sync mode if the camera has a hot shoewithacentralpositionedsynccontact.Thisisstandardformostcamerastoday.In thismodethecamerawillbeafullmanualflashwithoutTTL-orHSScompatibility.Other functions that are controlled from the camera will also be disabled."

I have successfully used the Canon version of the A1 on both an SL and CL in basic manual mode without problem. No TTL, no HSS, but the flash via its  basic, manual mode  works just fine. But you have to turn Sync options on p. 2 of the flash settings to X-Sync and you should also upgrade the A1 to the latest firmware release. Updating fixed all kinds of problems.

Hi Ron! 

I appreciate your response to this, as I have been searching for an answer to my question if I can use the Canon Profoto A1 on the SL. 

I just tested it and it worked fine in manual mode with the SL.