New 1,4 75mm

Paulus

Well, everybody seems to expect a 75mm "Noctilux". If it comes and one sees the price tag  :angry:  :(  :wacko:  :blink::o,- , we'll have a new thread, why they spent so much energy on such a BS and did not bring the good old 75mm Summilux for half the price of the second hand market.  

• Like 1

I was waiting for a new summilux 75 and all I got was the new Thambar.

Why didn't they go for the un-easy way?

Is it really so difficult or is there no market for such a lens?

They managed to make a 2.2/90mm with a few basic elements cost $7000, I can't imagine what a remake 1.4/75 would cost...

• Like 4

IF ONLY... :rolleyes:   Zeiss would in the same position as Leica... ;)  :D ... imagine the cost of a Planar 50 f0,7 "Kubrick edition"... no more discussions about 1/6th or 1/7th or 1/8th of stop for a trivial f0,95.. :p

I think Kubrick's format was cine 35mm, not what we use. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think Kubrick's format was cine 35mm, not what we use. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Yes you're right... doesn't cover 24x36... and btw the original Planar was heavily reworked with additional elements....(became a 36,5mm f 0,7 :  http://www.marcocavina.com/omaggio_a_kubrick.htm )

Edited by luigi bertolotti

• 1 month later...

Well, everybody seems to expect a 75mm "Noctilux". If it comes and one sees the price tag  :angry:  :(  :wacko:  :blink::o,- , we'll have a new thread, why they spent so much energy on such a BS and did not bring the good old 75mm Summilux for half the price of the second hand market.  

we could ask why here...

High-end advances require expensive R&D: a brilliant designer, Karbe, and unique/expensive manufacture. The economics of scale do not favor relatively small manufactures such as Leica. So be it. I think Leica will eventually take glass optics to the very end of its possible perfection. What will likely follow is multiple lens optics, a different vector.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

High-end advances require expensive R&D: a brilliant designer, Karbe, and unique/expensive manufacture. The economics of scale do not favor relatively small manufactures such as Leica. So be it. I think Leica will eventually take glass optics to the very end of its possible perfection. What will likely follow is multiple lens optics, a different vector.

So maybe the new rumoured 90 will be it?

https://leicarumors.com/tag/leica-summilux-m-90mm-f1-5-asph/