New Lightroom configurations announced

Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are several problems with Adobe taking this step:

1.  You cannot trust them.  In 2013 they promised they would continue to sell a perpetual licence.
  2.  The economics do not tally.  The subscription version is considerably more expensive.
  3.  If you stop paying, you lose the service, and with it all your work.  Good luck migrating 300 Gb back from the Cloud.
  4.  The 'improvements' paid for by your subscription may not be the ones you want, but you are paying any way - for lots of useless 'features'.

The first version of MacOS or Windows XX that no longer works with LR 'perpetual' -- you are sunk.  It's going to be out of support.  Buy a new camera?  Sunk again.  So I think there is nothing for it but to plan migration to a more trusted supplier.  10 years of photos, all that effort, and why? because the vendor is so greedy.  It's nothing to do with making things better for the customer.

Edited by rob_w
  • Like 6

This article in DPreview phrases it better than I could.

So I'll continue to use Lightroom 6 until stops to be sustainable and then goodbye Adobe. Someone else will fill the gap.

The financial aspect is less decisive, although an upgrade in the old model would only buy nine months of subscription in the new model. Thinking about it, if the manufacturers of all the programmes on my computer would use the same renting rates, computers would be unsustainable for most private persons.

Stefan

• Like 6

This comment on the dpreview site strikes me as odd:

“You think your product managers made a good choice to stop supporting a "pay once, use as long as you want" software? I disagree. I think I will not be the only customer that you will lose.”

This guy has paid once; he won’t pay again; I can’t understand why he thinks of himself as a customer Adobe is losing.

It’s only a matter of time before all the replacement packages manufacturers also get tired of rewriting their software to keep up with OS updates and new cameras.

• Like 1

As an aside, perhaps someone knows the answer to this simple question. I've just been watching a few youtube videos on the changes to Lightroom Classic and when the screen displays the Library module, the sequential numbers on each preview are quite a lot larger than they are on my computer. I quite like that and would like to change my settings but I cannot find a setting that controls the size of those numbers. I am sure I'm missing something but does anyone know how to change it, please?

Anyone considering using Alien Skin Exposure 3, just released, which seems to match other software in Raw conversion, cataloguing, searching etc?

I use Exposure for all my B&W conversions. The last two versions have concentrated on the cataloging and RAW processing of images. I haven’t an interest in those so haven’t updated the product for a while. However I’ve watched their videos on YouTube and it looks quite capable in those areas. There’s a 30 day trial, so it might be worthwhile downloading that and seeing if it meets your needs.

• Like 1

I'm not near my computer but you might find guidance here...

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/setting-library-view-options.html

Jeff

Hi Jeff, although this does not clearly mention the thing I was after, by following it systematically, I found what I was looking for and now have the Library Grid View the way I want it. Many thanks for the link, it did help!!

You're writing about permanent vs subscription licences, not local vs cloud. I'm happy with a subscription licence, but I don't want to upload my images to Adobe's cloud.

You're totally right about me conflating the (one-time/subscription) pricing and the (desktop/cloud) storage issues. But my answer to both of them is basically the same: these transitions are not the result of avaricious, mustache-twirling tech moguls but a response to and reflection of reality.

The number of people who use one device to import, edit, and manage their photos is rapidly plummeting. Cloud-based storage is the only viable solution to this situation. I would guess it's the single-device image workstation people who also grumble about the death of the one-time software purchasing model.

I'm sure you're right that there is a growing number of people who live and work in the cloud, and no, I don't see Adobe as evil for wanting to make a profit by servicing them. OTOH I back-up in the cloud but prefer to keep my editing and front-line storage local. There are too many occasions while on the move that I do not have internet access at all, let alone fast access. And I certainly don't want to hand all my images over to Adobe to look after. If I go down the route of using Adobe's new apps, I would want to do it with a storage system I chose myself. I wonder if Adobe will find that others also want a more open system.

I'm sure you're right that there is a growing number of people who live and work in the cloud, and no, I don't see Adobe as evil for wanting to make a profit by servicing them. OTOH I back-up in the cloud but prefer to keep my editing and front-line storage local. There are too many occasions while on the move that I do not have internet access at all, let alone fast access. And I certainly don't want to hand all my images over to Adobe to look after. If I go down the route of using Adobe's new apps, I would want to do it with a storage system I chose myself. I wonder if Adobe will find that others also want a more open system.

This is an area where Apple has been responding to people's emerging needs pretty well. In fact, I am writing this as a form of procrastination from reading Apple's documentation for creating document-based apps that seamlessly integrate with any cloud provider—or simply local storage.

Similarly, with Apple's Photos app for the Mac, you can turn on the iCloud Photo storage and also check a box that indicates that you want all of the full-size original files to be stored locally. This gives folks the best of both worlds: Upload photos from anywhere and have full-size originals transmitted and stored to a central computer of the user's choosing. I have a Mac Mini with a big drive that exists to do little else but mirror my full photo collection.

I would hope that there either is or shortly will be a similar solution from Adobe. Given that they have a ton of big corporate clients who aren't super-excited about managing storage across multiple vendors' proprietary cloud storage services, I am cautiously optimistic that they will eventually address this situation.

I don't blame Adobe for going where the money is, but I find their stated rationale for abandoning the standalone product (see 'frame-it' link above, i,e., that customers are overwhelmingly choosing CC), disingenuous given that they've done everything possible to hide the perpetual version on their site and to stop providing full feature enhancements as in years past.

Customers are wise to use their common sense and not trust comments about what the future holds. Only 4 years ago, several of these statements no longer hold true..,

https://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/lightroom-and-the-creative-cloud.html

Jeff

• Like 3

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I've just installed Lightroom Classic.

There are clearly big changes - it needs to create a new catalogue and copies all your images across. It didn't take long and there were no problems. I did a search for missing images and identified only three which were missing before.

It does appear to meet its promise of being much faster in rendering, previewing and moving between images. If it keeps it up I'll be impressed.

I have not yet tried the new masking tools.

Ive been downloading mine for two days now...............when I looked at tea time it was at 59%. I will look forward to trying it on Monday at this rate............slooooooow connection on the rig right now :( :( :( 

Neil

Hi Paul,

I’m slow to this party. I resisted the switch to CC, but it just became harder and harder to keep to stand alone software. I finally succumbed, loading CC onto my home and laptop computers - now I have to log in on each computer, which is frustrating (Adobe only allows two computers logged in at once for all Adobe products, and I use Acrobat on my work computer). I digress.

With LightRoom, I store my catalogue on DropBox, which gives me safe local storage on my harddrive, mirrored cloudbased storage, a Time Machine backup, and when I import my images I automatically store a copy on a passport drive. With the latest upgrades, do I have to change this?

I don’t mind being offered cloud storage, but every software suite tries to direct me to their cloud service - Apple with iCloud, Google Drive, Microsoft with its One Drive ... drives me nuts! I use DropBox, and I want to leave everything there. Does the latest upgrade force me to change?

John

You're totally right about me conflating the (one-time/subscription) pricing and the (desktop/cloud) storage issues. But my answer to both of them is basically the same: these transitions are not the result of avaricious, mustache-twirling tech moguls but a response to and reflection of reality.

The number of people who use one device to import, edit, and manage their photos is rapidly plummeting. Cloud-based storage is the only viable solution to this situation. I would guess it's the single-device image workstation people who also grumble about the death of the one-time software purchasing model.

Well, I do not want to generalize my personal preferences, but I can't imagine an application, which I'm less likely to use on the go on a small screen than post-processing 30-200 MB each pictures over a mobile data connection when I've got a nice large screen at home and an USB3-line to my HDD. Thinking about it, there is actually one less likely application, Adobe Framemaker, which I rate as un-usable on any screen smaller than 24".

The typical target group for cloud usage and mobile post-processing appears to be the one, who take their pictures on their smartphones, which admittedly produce pretty good pictures these days and can be a serious tool in capable hands. Whether this group is willing to pay an additional cloud supplier on top of their icloud is to be seen, but I guess Adobe have done their math here. Seeing we are going a different path now, I wish them well.

My suspicion is also, that there are few groups, which are less likely to be influenced by "what everyone else does" than our good old forum here. Taking pictures with a serious camera is an unusual choice these days. Taking pictures with a Leica is an unusual choice in this unusual group. But then, we all make the choices which work best for us. I'm enjoying mine and hope everyone else is enjoying his choice.

Stefan

• Like 2