Tape over big "LEICA" name on the front of the SL?

pmendelson

I'm less concerned about people recognizing the Leica brand to steal the camera, than about calling attention in general and shooting under the radar.  Anything to call less attention to myself as a photographer is usually welcome.  What brought this up in my mind was seeing a photo of someone who had taped over the logo, and the camera appeared a lot less obtrusive.  In general I don't like wearing stuff with brands and logos anyway.... 

Exactly why I do it as well, as I've done for years with multiple brands of cameras.

The big logo is a visual distraction for subjects, especially non-professional ones. It can even mess with eye lines (where the subject is looking).

Taping-over the logo also minimizes unwanted reflections if there are mirrors and/or glass around. People's eyes instinctively go to the brightest points in an image. Getting rid of that highlight makes sense to me. It's sometimes OK to show the photographer/camera in the image, but only if it doesn't distract from the main subject.

• Like 1

That's my only issue... aesthetics of the logos... same with the M. But tape is as bad or worse. Leica has milked this affliction we have, making lots of money on cosmetically upgraded versions. I suspect we'll see that with the SL at some point, if sales warrant.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everybody,

You could just get a black marking pen for black cameras & lenses. And a silver marking pen for chrome cameras & lenses.

Removable ink until you are sure. And then permanent. Or just keep reapplying the not so permanent inks once you are sure..

The correctly (Or close.) colored ink is also neater & less noticeable than tape.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Brother P label printer, white lettering on black tape, applied on gaffer tape so lifting is easy without residue.

(In real-life, the black tone differences between camera black and tape black are nearly invisible.)

I always tape my Leicas.

Chinese import really draws very little attention from the average person on the street.

Biggest laughs I got was in Chinatown in San Francisco where people were familiar with both brands.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Mine is taped over. There used to be a guy on the LUG called Dr. Black Tape. It was his solution for many Leica issues back in the day.

I think the Leica logo is way to big and distracting. I also wish not to draw attention to me.

Black tape covers the logo well. Gaffers tape leaves no residues.

So call me Dr. Black Tape, Jr. now! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rgacpa

I am a latecomer to Leica SL (less then a month) and ever since I have seen a photo of the SL I considered the white LEICA logo to be just too big. I have taped it with black tape, but let red dot as is. I do not wear stuff with brands and logos to me it looks daggy. On holidays in Queenstown N.Z. in crowded places only two Chinese/Japanese photographers each with two big Canons hanging from theirs shoulders taken more then one glance at my SL. Love my SL, using it with my M lenses, no regrets switching to it when my dealer inform me that M10 that I ordered some month before is ready to pick up.

That's exactly the reason why someone should tape the logo - especially for reportage. People starts reading when they spot text. 

Is there a difference between white Leica on Black Background vs white Nikon on Black Background and white Canon on Black Background?

I have yet to see a Canikon or Fujifilm or Pentax or Olympus user having a tape over the logo so it becomes inconspicuous. Most even have a brightly colored neck strap with more logos on it

I wonder how many Canikon owners get mugged for their cameras especially when the cameras are so big and the lenses equally huge?

I have only seen taping of logos happen in movies where the producers cannot get the brands to pay a fee so they tape the logo to avoid giving the brand free promotions

Maybe Leica owners are more self conscious 

I used to used a Canon 5D3 and a long zoom lens. Never missed a shot on the street. Bring the camera to the eye and shoot - done. I have however seen many subjects cover or turn their faces away because the photographers take forever to compose and shoot - this makes the subjects more conscious than the camera itself (logo or no logo)

Is there a difference between white Leica on Black Background vs white Nikon on Black Background and white Canon on Black Background?

I have yet to see a Canikon or Fujifilm or Pentax or Olympus user having a tape over the logo so it becomes inconspicuous. Most even have a brightly colored neck strap with more logos on it

I wonder how many Canikon owners get mugged for their cameras especially when the cameras are so big and the lenses equally huge?

I know quite a few professional photo journalists who do tape their canonikons. Notably, one of them used to write "Fuck" with white paint over the tape. Not sure if it helped him, but his work was quite solid, including some compelling stuff from Iraq and Palestine.

• Like 1