Tape over big "LEICA" name on the front of the SL?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never thought I would be someone who tapes over the name of a camera to make it less noticeable in general or tempting to thieves, but the large "LEICA" name on the front of the SL would seem to attract attention when one might want to shoot with less attention, no?  I have a SL arriving tomorrow and I may just add some tape as my first "accessory" to the camera....  I think I would also feel a bit self-conscious about advertising the fact that I am shooting with a Leica with that big name on the front in a way I didn't feel with my Q or my M10.

Wondering if any of you did the same...

• Like 1

I've taped it over not because it says LEICA but because it just draws attention - people I point it at either ask what it means or say 'Oh, you have a Leica". I'd rather that they and I stuck to thinking about the interaction and photography than about brand oddity. My M240 and TL2 are less blingy and go commando.

• Like 3

It's been 2 years since SL release...time for some to start wishing for an SL-P without logo/script and a couple of other tweaks. Or an SL Monochrom. Probably need a lot more forum chatter on topics like this before SL devotees are treated like M users.

Jeff

99.9% of the public are unaware of the existence of Leica and either ignore or look bemused. 

I have spotted maybe a dozen Leicas in the wild over the last 10yrs in travelling about, and even at the many workshops I have attended only 1 has had anyone else with a Leica. 

I doubt if thieves specifically target them ..... I suspect anything big and black with a lens on the front is the main criteria. 

Taking this to it's logical conclusion I should really put gaffer tape over the lettering on our Range Rover .......  :rolleyes:

• Like 12

I'm less concerned about people recognizing the Leica brand to steal the camera, than about calling attention in general and shooting under the radar.  Anything to call less attention to myself as a photographer is usually welcome.  What brought this up in my mind was seeing a photo of someone who had taped over the logo, and the camera appeared a lot less obtrusive.  In general I don't like wearing stuff with brands and logos anyway.... 

De- badging expensive cars is a common practice in many US regions. It's not done to hide the car or minimize its value.

Jeff

Seems it's usually done to either hide the fact you only have the small engine version or - for some - to hide the fact they've got the fast version.

I don't see the need to tape over the logo on a camera. To a thief a camera is a camera.

I received much more attention regarding my big Nikon D4 than I do about the SL. I carry the SL (typically with 24-90) through airports and around the various cities I travel to and no one says a word.

The MP240 (completely blacked out) garners a lot of attention, usually people asking if it’s a film camera.

• Like 3

Hi :)
I also taped over the LEICA brand name on my SL.  Also the Red Dot but it was not that necessary because it is a little bit hidden on that place where is put on.
Until now I never taped over the logo on my Leica cameras.  But on the SL the LEICA logo is to big, with the white capital letters that are easily visible. 
I noticed that some people want to read when they spot something that look like a text. Leica logo is easy to spot on the black camera from some distance.
Probably it is some subconscious reaction to need to recognise something if it is spotted.  These things are used in marketing industry I think. 
The color, font, size, place where it is put on... So I tape it over.  I don't have concerns about thieves. Thieves don't look on the logo most of the time.
Only size and shape is important  that give the object as a camera away and looks like something potentially expensive.  Especially if it have a huge lens on.
Everything that look like a camera can bring some money and that is what they want. 

I had only few situations where someone recognised my camera as a Leica. Most of the time was the comment was "this must be really expensive one"
and if the were with friends "this is so much better than Canon or Nikon" :D Some people ask me what is this camera, is this an SONY?
Even if they clearly can read an LEICA logo. After couple of times I started not to argue any more and just confirmed that this is the new A9. I am an beta tester and Sony wanted that I hide they logo with something else. Now when the A9 is out I will say again that this is an new SONY A10 prototype and I testing it for them. With my M's was almost the same reaction. Most of the time I got questions "why I shoot this old camera" , "that camera is so retro" , "do they still make film... But mostly they just glance at the camera and then look away. So the M can be spotted but it look not threatening or intimidating. People believe anything.  

I had questions about is this an middle format camera and how big the sensor is and how many MP has. I don't know why is this so important. Funny thing is that even photographer and some professionals don't know about SL ans some even about Leica. :D  But almost every video camera operator knew about SL and started with questions about video capabilities of her. I could't say much about this because I don't shoot video with the SL. Had try few time but video is not my thing. I noticed something interesting. These people that knew about the Leica and when they spoke with me about her, I saw in they eyes some respect for Leica and honour to meet someone that use an Leica camera. I like that. :) 

These are my experiences on this and I have much more to tell but this post is enough long. 
Sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language. :)

Nikola

• Like 3

I have taped over both the Leica logo and the red dot. To me, they seem ostentatious. In general, I try to avoid products with prominent logos, but sometimes they can’t be avoided. In the case of my Leica gear, I want the cameras but have no desire to be a walking advertisement for the brand.

That's exactly the reason why someone should tape the logo - especially for reportage. People starts reading when they spot text. 

I noticed that some people want to read when they spot something that look like a text. Leica logo is easy to spot on the black camera from some distance.
Probably it is some subconscious reaction to need to recognise something if it is spotted.  

Edited by Ingo
  • Like 1

I doubt a drug fuelled psycho is going to bother whether your logo is taped over or not, they'll slit your throat for your wallet and the camera may be a bonus. So forget the invisibility cloak afforded by your special tape, you are more likely to put off a thief by looking confident and street wise, hang your camera from a length of string and not a luxury leather strap, and for heavens sake ditch the guide book.

I almost got mugged once. Big, overweight guy followed me into an alley. It was in the evening. I didn’t notice him initially. I quickly turned around and went the other way. I tape all my Leicas but it was the hardest to do with the SL. It makes the camera uglier. See the picture below. Now I’ve gotten so used it that I don’t mind. Look at it this way. It reduces the camera to its essentials. :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Chaemono
  • Like 1

It's not about thiefs, it's about disguise street photography. 

I think most people tend to look if they see someone pointing a camera at them. The camera itself, and more importantly, the photographers behaviour are what draws people's attention.

If text had anything to do with it people would be taping over the lettering around the front of the lens, but I never see that being discussed on here, but if taping over the camera logo gives some an imaginary cloak of invisibility then fine.