Tape over big "LEICA" name on the front of the SL?

pmendelson

Seriously?  7 pages and 122 posts on taping over the "Leica" on a camera ... only on LUF!

If theft is your problem, only take camera gear you're prepare to lose and claim on insurance (not sure what you do with the rest of your gear ...)

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

I can report that in almost 10 years of Leica ownership, more cameras than I need and more lenses that I. An use, traveled through the eastern US, UK, France, Japan, Israel and more places than I can remember, including my own country (and the Eastern Island), nothing has been stolen.

No tape.

I’m not doubting your loss, Peter. It would annoy the hell out of me. It’s just that our cameras are for taking photos. Sometimes we get unlucky. I don’t think the world is full of Leica targeting thieves; at least, that’s not my experience. If I felt I couldn’t use my cameras, or needed tape etc, I find something else to do, or seriously change the way I use my gear.

I’m not sure tape is the answer.

The observers of a photograph care not, nor know what was the mindset of the photographer.

That is one characteristic of a photograph, embedded in its nature.

So much for verbose self-centered literate-oriented irrelevant philosophy out of its realm.

You were doing fine until that last sentence. Your foot needs a Band Aid.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tape over the Leica logo because it looks ugly! :)

In fact, I got a lot more attention with Digilux 2 than with A7RII.

It is absolutely not true that 90% of people cannot recognize Leica. It's quite contrary.

I have seen people tape over his Olympus EVF on M240 while leave the Leica logo exposed. I have also seen people tape over every Leica logo, including the lens cap.

If you ask them why, "Oh, I saw all Leica users do this!".

Edited by Einst_Stein
  • Like 1

When I was using an M240 I had quite a number of people tell me that " My granddad had one of those."  Followed by "Can you still buy the film?"

People from all sorts of backgrounds certainly recognised the camera, if only by its iconic shape, and associated it with film.

Since I taped over the logo on my SL I have had a number of people ask me what brand of camera I was using.

Depending on who it is I either tell them its a new Leica or fob them off with a story about it being a prototype.

I find this intriguing as people seem to expect a logo, like Nikon or Canon, to be prominent on the camera.

They clearly notice when there is no name.

When I owned and used Leica's rangefinder cameras, IIIf to M240, I would have been quite upset if any one of them had been stolen.

There was always an emotional attachment.

For some reason with the SL the reason I take the trouble to try to avoid being robed is simply the inconvenience involved.

When it happened to me I had a complete new outfit within 3 weeks and I shed no tears.

It's tool which does a very good job, better than any of the previous cameras in almost every respect, but I'm not in any way emotionally attached to it. 

When I owned and used Leica's rangefinder cameras, IIIf to M240, I would have been quite upset if any one of them had been stolen.

There was always an emotional attachment.

For some reason with the SL the reason I take the trouble to try to avoid being robed is simply the inconvenience involved.

People who steal cameras for living know their craft, and no tape will prevent your camera from being stolen by a pro. On the other hand, small-time opportunistic robbers do not care about the brand, all they know is that a big camera with a large lens costs more than a small one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Original poster here - I can't believe this thread is still going!  I sold my SL several months ago and am now using the M10 and Q.  No tape ;)

On the Leica website regarding the new M10-P:  'The prominent red dot on the front of the camera, masked with tape by many pro photographers for added stealth, has been omitted.'  :p

Link: http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10-P?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_us/162008

Tempora mutantur  ;)

On the Leica website regarding the new M10-P: 'The prominent red dot on the front of the camera, masked with tape by many pro photographers for added stealth, has been omitted.' :p

Link: http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10-P?/switchlanguage/to/corposite_eng_us/162008

Tempora mutantur ;)

You’re still impressionable to marketing ploy?

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 1