Tape over big "LEICA" name on the front of the SL?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do know people have had their autos de-badged, and for good reason. For example VW's super top of the line auto. OI! Who wanted their logo, or to wait for it to be declared another brand?

And here's me thinking someone must just have nicked the badge .....

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Pardon but.. it is not so much about thieves but about to stay unobstrusive!! One of the successes regarding the M was because also it was small, black and light (to be hided under any clothe).

Use an iPhone instead...............well maybe you should just get a Nokia or  a Samsung........not to many folks committing armed robbery for one of those

Super Stelf

Neil

Pardon but.. it is not so much about thieves but about to stay unobstrusive!! One of the successes regarding the M was because also it was small, black and light (to be hided under any clothe).

This is the very reason why this thread turned into farce. Trying to decorate Leica SL with tape to make it unobtrusive is like covering a horse on a yellow Ferrari in an attempt to make it look less flashy.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is the very reason why this thread turned into farce. Trying to decorate Leica SL with tape to make it unobtrusive is like covering a horse on a yellow Ferrari in an attempt to make it look less flashy.

Its Pathetic .........period

• Like 1

Cover type something like this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

If it’s any help.. ..I never feel safe when I leave the house waiting my Patek Philippe wrist watch unless I cover the dial with black tape. That said, since I have no way of telling the time, I wear a Casio on my other wrist - and wearing two watches isn’t ‘normal’ hence can draw attention.. ..what to do? :-)

• Like 2

I'm sorry I started this thread... I thought it was a simple comment/question but look at what this has turned into.... to clarify, I am not concerned about anyone recognizing the Leica brand name or stealing it because they see the name.  

Simply put, big white letters can be distracting / attract notice to potential subjects of my photos, I don't care what brand it is.  Yes, a big camera and lens does that too, but having big white letters on it doesn't help. I taped over it, simple as that, no big deal.  I was just curious if others felt/did the same when they got the SL.  

There are a couple of good comments in the thread written by others about other ways not to attract attention, but unfortunately one has to wade through 5 pages containing a lot of insults and trolling to read them.  Sheesh...

• Like 6

Simply put, big white letters can be distracting / attract notice to potential subjects of my photos, 

In all honesty trying to minimise attention whilst taking photographs might be somewhat counterproductive these days. There are plenty of threads about those photographers who are 'in your face' and get a lot of criticism over being so, and lots of discussion about how taking photographs can lead to less than pleasant situations. Covering white letters probably isn't the big deal its sometimes made out to be and isn't going to make much difference in being unobtrusive. Just my opinion. And don't worry about the way the thread has gone - sometimes they just do :D .

I'm sorry I started this thread... I thought it was a simple comment/question but look at what this has turned into.... to clarify, I am not concerned about anyone recognizing the Leica brand name or stealing it because they see the name.  

Simply put, big white letters can be distracting / attract notice to potential subjects of my photos, I don't care what brand it is.  Yes, a big camera and lens does that too, but having big white letters on it doesn't help. I taped over it, simple as that, no big deal.  I was just curious if others felt/did the same when they got the SL.  

There are a couple of good comments in the thread written by others about other ways not to attract attention, but unfortunately one has to wade through 5 pages containing a lot of insults and trolling to read them.  Sheesh...

You need not apologize for asking a simple question.  Some people are simply unable to control themselves.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The whole subject of taping over logos is a sub theme of what is the best way to...(FWIW) here are my thoughts...

If a photographer feels that he or she is 'taking' a photograph then he or she is doomed to be stuck in a whirlpool of self inflicted conflict - because in their mind they are stealing something.

If a photographer understands that he or she is 'making' a photograph - the dynamics and mindset change - in their mind they are making something.

The subject of what is the best way to make interesting photographs on the street ultimately needs the photographer to come to terms with what his or her mindset really is. When the issue above is resolved many things follow.

OR

one can walk around feeling apart and furtive and broadcasting this tension to other human beings who are programmed to react to perceived threat - this is a horrible way to spend any time doing anything let alone street photography.

try being obvious , relaxed and happy when you are making photographs - you will be amazed at how little interest anyone has in what you are doing - if you are being obvious.

What hurts my eyes is the boring hip shot cropped to look like something else and over manufactured in post processing - no one is fooled by crapola shots - and taped over logos are in the same boat of nonsense

just my view..

• Like 2

.............. I doubt if thieves specifically target them .....

If only that were true.  The police in Barcelona are quite emphatic that Leica cameras are specifically targeted - the SL apparently has a high resale value in the world these people inhabit.

As someone who has had his entire outfit stolen by the simple expedient of removing the safe in which it was being stored from the apartment we had rented I'm inclined to believe the police.

I had never entered or left the apartment with the camera on view - it was always in an innocuous shoulder bag.

The police believe I was seen using the camera in the city and then followed back to the apartment.

It's not the first time something like this has happened apparently.

The thieves searched the apartment and took only Leica associated bits like a battery charger - nothing else.

I now keep the Leica script and the Red Dot firmly covered with black tape.

This has, surprisingly to me at least, resulted in several people approaching me to know what brand of camera it is.

The moral seems to be to take maximum care with a Leica in public and to ensure the insurance is in good order.

My insurer, Hiscox, were a model of professionalism and I had a complete new outfit, courtesy of Red Dot Cameras, within 3 weeks of the theft.