Tape over big "LEICA" name on the front of the SL?

pmendelson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can kind of understand when one tapes the logo of an M camera as the logo is small and camera is compact together with most M lenses making it easily unrecognizable as a Leica camera or passing of as another compact camera which any guy next door uses.

As for masking the logo on the SL by Tape, I just try hard to comprehend. If one’s intention is not to attract the attention of thieves, I suggest you use a metal grinder to remove the LEICA logo,...hehee, could start a new trend.

On the other hand, if you’re trying to be low profile, please forgive me but the bulk is just a give away! It is kind of like spray painting your Rolls Royce Matt black with all logos removed and parade around town, you think you’re not getting noticed???

• Like 1

I know quite a few professional photo journalists who do tape their canonikons. Notably, one of them used to write "Fuck" with white paint over the tape. Not sure if it helped him, but his work was quite solid, including some compelling stuff from Iraq and Palestine.

This is the funniest thing I have heard this year. Maybe I should try it too  :)

I am sure having F**K on the camera will attract more attention than Leica or Canon or Nikon

Original poster here...surprised this has three pages of replies!  Anyway, I got some black tape and taped over the "LEICA" logo and it definitely looks more low-key, like a plain, kinda ugly black box (just like my Fuji GFX too ;).   I don't think I am necessarily dissuading thieves or becoming invisible, but I do think it will just attract less attention from potential subjects of my photos when I am shooting.  Not a huge deal but an easy, cheap thing to do that may help make a small difference in some situations.

As for masking the logo on the SL by Tape, I just try hard to comprehend. If one’s intention is not to attract the attention of thieves, I suggest you use a metal grinder to remove the LEICA logo,...hehee, could start a new trend.

On the other hand, if you’re trying to be low profile, please forgive me but the bulk is just a give away! It is kind of like spray painting your Rolls Royce Matt black with all logos removed and parade around town, you think you’re not getting noticed???

It's not a matter of being afraid of thieves (any camera can be traded for a fix, presumably), or of being incognito.

As far as I am concerned, black tape is there to help the pictures. It's less distracting to subjects. I don't want them distracted by bright white lettering if the eyeline is important to my composition.

It also makes shooting through glass easier (fewer reflections, potentially less retouching).

I've also done the black tape thing with Canon and others, so it's not a Leica thing.

BTW, I thought that matt black luxury sedans were a way to gain attention.

Original poster here...surprised this has three pages of replies!  Anyway, I got some black tape and taped over the "LEICA" logo and it definitely looks more low-key, like a plain, kinda ugly black box (just like my Fuji GFX too ;).   I don't think I am necessarily dissuading thieves or becoming invisible, but I do think it will just attract less attention from potential subjects of my photos when I am shooting.  Not a huge deal but an easy, cheap thing to do that may help make a small difference in some situations.

There are a few more effective ways to be invisible. Just a few tips:

1. Blending in with the crowd: wear clothes similar to what everyone else is wearing (no "all black", no photo vests and other tactical gear). At the same time try to make your clothes less attractive: several unbuttoned layers, weathered fabrics, muted colors

2. Staying below the radar: try to stay below most people's level of sight. Bend your knees, sit down, stay close to corners, tree trunks, light poles, etc. People tend not to look below their chest level.

3. Train yourself not to lift a camera up to your face. Keep it about your chin level all the time and just dip your head low enough to align the eye with the viewfinder. People subconsciously treat lifting the camera up as an aggressive gesture and thereby tend to notice it more.

4. In general, keep your movements to a minimum. Do not chase the subject, have them come to you. Assume strategic positions where the action is bound to happen.

5. Practice facial expressions. Never look like a hunter on a mission.

By following these simple tips you will be able to become so insignificant for people on the street that they won't pay attention. Having the logo taped sometimes works against you: it shows your intent to conceal something.

• Like 6

One more thing... I kind of meant it, but it needs more emphasis. People on the street are not there to notice you. Everybody has their own agenda, and, as devastating as it sounds, it hardly has anything to do with you. This is actually a great news, as it means that in order to be noticed, you actively need to do something to attract people's attention. What catches the attention is something out of the ordinary, and a piece of tape over a logo is definitely not something that they see every day.

Edited by Irakly Shanidze
  • Like 1

One more thing... I kind of meant it, but it needs more emphasis. People on the street are not there to notice you. Everybody has their own agenda, and, as devastating as it sounds, it hardly has anything to do with you. This is actually a great news, as it means that in order to be noticed, you actively need to do something to attract people's attention. What catches the attention is something out of the ordinary, and a piece of tape over a logo is definitely not something that they see every day.

I must respectfully disagree on this point. Neatly trimmed black gaffers tape is barely noticeable unless someone is actively looking for it. Amongst my photographer friends, only two have ever commented on the taped over logo on my SL.

• Like 1

I must respectfully disagree on this point. Neatly trimmed black gaffers tape is barely noticeable unless someone is actively looking for it. Amongst my photographer friends, only two have ever commented on the taped over logo on my SL.

You know, experienced pickpockets never carry a knife to cut through purses. They use a sharpened coin, which can be quietly dropped when a situation requires. The gaffer tape is like a knife in a pocket. It makes you vulnerable to accusations. Yes, most people won't notice it. Now imagine a situation: you are taking pictures in a park somewhere where children are playing. Some crazy mom notices you and calls the police using your gaffer tape to explain why you look suspicious. This us not a hypothetical situation.

You know, experienced pickpockets never carry a knife to cut through purses. They use a sharpened coin, which can be quietly dropped when a situation requires. The gaffer tape is like a knife in a pocket. It makes you vulnerable to accusations. Yes, most people won't notice it. Now imagine a situation: you are taking pictures in a park somewhere where children are playing. Some crazy mom notices you and calls the police using your gaffer tape to explain why you look suspicious. This us not a hypothetical situation.

Your reference to Gaffers tape is, to me, impossible to understand. Explain.

2. Staying below the radar: try to stay below most people's level of sight. Bend your knees, sit down, stay close to corners, tree trunks, light poles, etc. People tend not to look below their chest level.

By following these simple tips you will be able to become so insignificant for people on the street that they won't pay attention. Having the logo taped sometimes works against you: it shows your intent to conceal something.

Being 5 foot, five inches tall, I naturally follow number 2 in your list. However, I have a massively over inflated sense of self importance, and tend to strut about like Mussolini, often with an entourage -- What advice would you offer to help me appear more insignificant?

• Like 2

So this discussion is about two points.

First if tapeing makes sense. In my workshop I use quite expensive Stahlwille and Hazet spanners. As they are some of the most expensive tools on the market and their brand as well known to the public as Leica, and given the danger that they might distract some nuts and bolts - should I tape them ?

Second question, very leicalike: which tape is the best ? 

And for the real freaks: which message shall I post on my camera ?

Your reference to Gaffers tape is, to me, impossible to understand. Explain.

That is a thin band of flexible opaque plastic covered with an adhesive on one side. It is sold pre-rolled for compactness and used to tape things for all kinds of reasons, like for instance taping hands of a victim prior to murdering to prevent her from preventing you from murdering her. Alternatively, it can be used to tape logos to indicate that you have an expensive camera, but since its manufacturer is not paying you for advertising, you retaliate by concealing its name.

• Like 1

Being 5 foot, five inches tall, I naturally follow number 2 in your list. However, I have a massively over inflated sense of self importance, and tend to strut about like Mussolini, often with an entourage -- What advice would you offer to help me appear more insignificant?

That's a great question. I would suggest to wear high heels. It will elevate you to the level of sight of most people, and then you can follow my advice to a T.

• Like 1

That [gaffers' tape] is a thin band of flexible opaque plastic covered with an adhesive on one side.

It is sold pre-rolled for compactness and used to tape things for all kinds of reasons,

like for instance taping hands of a victim prior to murdering to prevent her from preventing

you from murdering her. Alternatively [...]

It is fabric, not plastic. The rest of your post is disgusting. And your post

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/277904-tape-over-big-leica-name-on-the-front-of-the-sl/?p=3383232

makes no sense at all.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

So this discussion is about two points.

First if tapeing makes sense. In my workshop I use quite expensive Stahlwille and Hazet spanners. As they are some of the most expensive tools on the market and their brand as well known to the public as Leica, and given the danger that they might distract some nuts and bolts - should I tape them ?

Second question, very leicalike: which tape is the best ? 

And for the real freaks: which message shall I post on my camera ?

1. I think it would be better to take a radically different approach. Replace your nuts and bolts with analogs made by some respected manufacturer, so there is no status disparity between the items. Your new nuts and bolts will not get shy in front of famed tools, and harmony will prevail.

2. In sailboat racing we use kevlar tape. It is like $79.99 per yard. I am sure there are more expensive ones on the market, but those are special order.

3. I would use the tried-and-true "F@ck". Its effectiveness is undisputed, and to some subjects it will show what you are truly interested in.

That is a matter of taste. I was polite enough not to ask why did you want me to elaborate on the nature of Gaffer tape. My kindness clearly was not returned. Shame on you.

Time for you to go to your room, to bed.

G'nite.

Edited by pico