Satisfied with color of camera chosen?

6bit

When I ordered mine last February I wanted Silver; that choice was reaffirmed when the store told me there was a much shorter wait time for silver. Interestingly enough I am indifferent to the color of the lenses I attach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Common wisdom says black cameras are less obtrusive and will draw less attention from bystanders than silver-chrome. In my experience, it just isn't so. After all, a black camera isn't invisible. Attention (if any) gets drawn by the act of taking photographs, not by the camera body's colour. While a black camera is less shiny, a chrome camera looks more old-fashioned and hence, umm ... harmless.

I always wanted silver-chrome Leica M cameras (starting with the M9) but for some reason or another, I always ended up with black ones. In the case of the M9, silver-chrome wasn't even available—it was black paint or grey paint only. Only my Leica M-A is chrome. So for me, it has turned into a rule: my digital M bodies are all black, the analog ones silver-chrome. Works for me.

• Like 2

Common wisdom says black cameras are less obtrusive and will draw less attention from bystanders than silver-chrome. In my experience, it just isn't so. 

Given that Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus, etc are now making cameras that (at a casual glance) look like Leica rangefinders, the silver-chrome cameras don't shout "LEICA!!!" any more. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Even photographers (who should know better) often mistake my M10 for a Fuji. 

• Like 3

In film days I bought one of each or put a strip of black tape on top of one.  I don`t want to talk about the time I shot a roll B&W in which I thought was a color camera.

Leica is making silver M 10 now.  Who knows when black will come.  Just like waiting for M10P which may never be.

My M8 is black and that is what I use for stealthy.  Silver looks good for longer if that is important to you.

• Like 1

I opted for the jono backup plan as well. :D

Yes. It's a really great trick isn't it?

In fact it so great I've stopped using L and R on my socks and I simply use different coloured ones instead. It really helps me get dressed much more quickly in the morning.
Edited by marcg
  • Like 1

Oh, I’m so happy with silver, it’s beautiful. I had some doubts at the start whether I wanted that, but I got it at the 18th of January which was just too late for under the Christmas tree and I had to decide quick because there were others waiting and I didn’t want to risk an unpredictable length of waiting. Which was good because black lasted months, not weeks.

But the color itself:

- I came back from the idea that I need black to be unobtrusive. In many countries, like in Asia, people appreciate the idea of being photographed and in my experience it’s better for the results that people like your camera than your acting stealthy with it. And silver *is* highly appreciated

- my M4 and my M7 were silver, never had any problems with obtrusiveness there.

- I associate my M7 with slides and good color photography and the M10 excels in color and is just as small as the M7

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I usually choose black, but found the protruding silver mount on the M10 a bit odd, so decided on silver when presented with both options. I've kept the red dot, which I would have likely changed to black on the black version. Silly stuff... just personal preference.

Jeff

I really did not like protruding silver part either. So I removed the mount, carefully masked it off, painted all but the mount surface black and put it back on.

It looks better. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Reciprocity

I really did not like protruding silver part either. So I removed the mount, carefully masked it off, painted all but the mount surface black and put it back on.

It looks better. 

It's called empowerment, it's a great feeling, I'm glad you tried it!  :D

I'm actively looking for an M10 body as I type this so I'm trying to decide which I really prefer. I've only got one lens (by choice) which is the 35 Summilux FLE and I'm sharing it between my M-A (which is black) and this pending M10. My gut says go with the black one but I can't seem to find any for sale right now, where I've found a few silver ones at reasonable prices. 

I think aesthetically they are both really attractive but I ultimately don't care as it's a tool for me to use, not to look at :)

I used to work with optics at university and in my first job (I was a "lens pusher"). Traditionally, all optical instruments are black to reduce stray light.

Mind you, black still reflects 20% of light and using a lens hood, it should be pretty difficult to catch a reflex from the camera body with the aperture. Also, it appears to be impractical to hang black cloth over everything around, when taking photos. So in the end, it does not matter and we have to give "Leica Glow" (also known as "lens flare") a chance.

Stefan