Toshiba FlashAir W-04

dugby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my M240, I have just replaced my older Toshiba FlashAir W-03 (32GB) SDHC card with the new Toshiba FlashAir SDXC W-04 (64GB) 90MB/s read and 70MB/s write, card.

My non empirical findings thus far:

1) Camera startup time (from power off) to ready state, seems twice as fast.

2) image (DNG) write time seems faster

3) thumbnail WIFI upload to iPAD Mini 4 Retina (11.0.3) is faster

4) Save of full size JPEG to above iPAD seems faster:

Overall I am most pleased with these speed improvements.

Edited by dugby
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

In my M240, I have just replaced my older Toshiba FlashAir W-03 (32GB) SDHC card with the new Toshiba FlashAir SDXC W-04 (64GB) 90MB/s read and 70MB/s write, card.

My non empirical findings thus far:

1) Camera startup time (from power off) to ready state, seems twice as fast.

2) image (DNG) write time seems faster

3) thumbnail WIFI upload to iPAD Mini 4 Retina (11.0.3) is faster

4) Save of full size JPEG to above iPAD seems faster:

Overall I am most pleased with these speed improvements.

So just to be clear: you're noticing faster ready state and faster DNG writes ... compared to the previous W-02, or compared to contemporary non-WiFi SD card?

It takes approximately 20 seconds per file for me - to a Windows PC. I shoot raw plus JPG, so that is an average of the file sizes. The best Windows software I found is Snowy v. 1.3, available at
http://emoacht.github.io/SnowyImageCopy/index.html
The Toshiba Flashair software for Windows is a pain to install and to use.
With Snowy:
    Make sure the camera Auto Power Off is Off, that is, set that camera never powers off.
    Launch Snowy and copy all files to the default folder I've set up.
    Revert camera to desired Auto Power Off choice.
    Delete All photos on the camera.
I find this easier than taking the SD card out of the camera, using a card reader, and putting it back.

How much faster would you say the DNG write time is ? 

I had the W-02 and it was glacial - a half dozen frames in quick succession would lock the camera up for ages while it wrote to the card.

Hello Echo63.

My apologies for not responding earlier, as I have been absent from the WWW.

In my M240 taking multiple consecutive single shots (not in continuous mode) my older W-03 would seem slow down its writes much sooner than what the new W-04 can achieve.

I have not measured the above observation with any scientific methods.

I am MOST pleased with the W-04

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So just to be clear: you're noticing faster ready state and faster DNG writes ... compared to the previous W-02, or compared to contemporary non-WiFi SD card?

Hello Toniwankanobe.

My comparison of the newer W-04 was only with the W-03. I have NOT tried any other WIFI-SD cards in my M240

ec

Hello Echo63.

My apologies for not responding earlier, as I have been absent from the WWW.

In my M240 taking multiple consecutive single shots (not in continuous mode) my older W-03 would seem slow down its writes much sooner than what the new W-04 can achieve.

I have not measured the above observation with any scientific methods.

I am MOST pleased with the W-04

Thank you - I will have to pick one up to play with.

• 4 weeks later...

hi, downloading photos is quite difficult, due to the lack of an automatic method, and you need to download one photo at a time.

Do you have any tips to give?

Edited by gippo

It takes approximately 20 seconds per file for me - to a Windows PC. I shoot raw plus JPG, so that is an average of the file sizes. The best Windows software I found is Snowy v. 1.3, available at

http://emoacht.github.io/SnowyImageCopy/index.html

The Toshiba Flashair software for Windows is a pain to install and to use.

With Snowy:

Make sure the camera Auto Power Off is Off, that is, set that camera never powers off.

Launch Snowy and copy all files to the default folder I've set up.

Revert camera to desired Auto Power Off choice.

Delete All photos on the camera.

I find this easier than taking the SD card out of the camera, using a card reader, and putting it back.

To be clear, one command in Snowy will copy all files. And when there are only a handful of files on the card, the time is closer to 10 seconds per image (both raw and JPG). The program is open and free, so you might find something similar for Android phones.

hi, downloading photos is quite difficult, due to the lack of an automatic method, and you need to download one photo at a time.

Do you have any tips to give?

I had a W-03 and it was a pain.

When I got the W-04 the setup was very good, quick and clean.

I use Lightroom and it loads all the files fro the card flawlessly, all at once.

I’ve never had it try to load one file at a time.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

It seems like this topic was short filled with happy users, let me borrow the thread (without spam a new one) on issues:

I used to be happy with Toshiba flashair w04 32G for my M9, flawlessly and quick.

When I got my M10 and M246 I got flashair w04 64G and problem starts whenever I try to delete all photo from camera, in random occasions there are orphan file names left (not able to preview but can see file name FA00001.JPG), and some times manual deletion lead to shutdown of M10 or forever blinking RED LED on M246 even after switching off (unless remove battery).  The orphan filename disappears after formatting the SD card from camera, but will come back after a while. I am aware a file in w-04 card is used, when toggle protection, to turn on and off the Wifi.... and if this is where it all starts I frankly hope there is way to disable this feature... 

Taking precaution, I upgraded the firmware of 32G and 64G w-04 using tools from Toshiba website, and now both 32G and 64G have the same problem.....  

To have piece of mind for now I go back to normal SD card with OTG reader, leaving both 32G and 64G collecting dust..

To the defense to Toshiba, so far both card worked well with my TL2 though, seems there is camera dependency, so it is not about finding who is the bad guy but looking for workaround.

Any users having experience of struggle of w04 in M240/M10/M246 and particularly having experience how to avoid issue would be great if you share. Thanks.

10 hours ago, xiaoheli said:

... problem starts whenever I try to delete all photo from camera...

You might try the Snowy program instead of Toshiba's software. Snowy is for Windows computers, available at
http://emoacht.github.io/SnowyImageCopy/index.html . I use it with an M240.

FA000001.JPG in the folder DCIM\100__TSB is a dummy "image," a placeholder for the Toshiba system. Mark it Protected. It is always there and presents a blank black screen when you Play your images.

Although Snowy can delete images upon transfer, I prefer not to have Snowy do that. After Snowy has uploaded all images, I delete all at the camera. Protected FA000001.JPG in the special subfolder stays.