Ultimate 50mm Summicron?

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What does anyone think of the upcoming 50mm APO Summicron 50th Anniversary lens? https://leicarumors.com/2017/10/14/more-pictures-of-the-new-leica-apo-summicron-50mm-lhsa-50th-anniversary-lens.aspx/

I'm guessing the metalwork will be brass, and it'll be the price of a new car. Well, a nicer new car than the standard 50mm APO Summicron is equivalent to.

Looks nice, though, even though this version was almost inevitable.

In a 1970ies BBC "Monty Python" episode, this would be the moment for the stern general to enter the scene and declare: "This program is getting silly!".

I sincerely wish to apologize to the originator of the thread for starting off this tongue-in-cheek diversion ;-)

I just got carried away by my loathing of the modern special special editions. However, I confess to liking the old lens designs (if original), for they often do exhibit better ergonomics of focusing and aperture controls than some modern designs. On a more sombre note, I do not wish to leave the impression that I am intolerant of other peoples aesthetic preferences or selection of collectibles. Many people will find me excentric for liking brassed black screwmount Leicas...

Kind regards

Mathias

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 2

Please Leica, give it back the original infinity lock button.

When hiking with diogonally worn Leica it is annoying first to check whether the lens has moved out of infinity.

Please Leica, give it back the original infinity lock button. [...]

Please Leica don't. Sorry mnutzer but infinity is not a normal focusing setting for me so this lock button was the first thing i butchered when i had one on my first Elmar 50/2.8. Horses for courses as usual...

Please Leica don't. Sorry mnutzer but infinity is not a normal focusing setting for me so this lock button was the first thing i butchered when i had one on my first Elmar 50/2.8. Horses for courses as usual...

Well, it's easy to set an infinity lock button out of order, but it's impossible to add a missing one.

Perhaps Leica could offer it "à la carte".

The "50th Anniversary" is of the LHSA who have worked with Leica to develop this lens. Unclear at present if a "Members only" edition , as previous LHSA sponsored camera and lens sets have been.

One dealer said it will be offered through normal channels to all customers, subject to limited supply. His guess was just under $10k and possibly by year end, but only based on rumor, nothing official.

Jeff

• Like 1

For reasons I cannot explain I was attracted to the red Summicron that came out a while back. One hundred were offered. Since I shoot on the street and always have my camera with me having a red lens is ridiculous. I think I appreciated that Leica was showing a sense of humor in actually making it. No, I did not buy one.

• Like 1

Has anyone heard whether or not we will be able to screw a filter onto this lens, then attach the lens hood so that it doesn’t fall off as is the case that plagues the 50 mm Summilux Black chrome Limited Edition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "50th Anniversary" is of the LHSA who have worked with Leica to develop this lens. Unclear at present if a "Members only" edition , as previous LHSA sponsored camera and lens sets have been.

One dealer said it will be offered through normal channels to all customers, subject to limited supply. His guess was just under $10k and possibly by year end, but only based on rumor, nothing official.

I'm not sure which previous LHSA editions have been restricted to members – the black paint M6TTL and the MP3 set were available via normal dealers (the latter at a price that now sounds very reasonable :D ). My understanding is that the LHSA 50 APO will not be restricted to members but will of course, as Jeff points out, likely be supply constrained. I'm sure I have already read a price for it – around a thousand or so (GBP) over the RRP for the standard 50 APO.

The 50 DR is the best I have used. I have the Collapsible, Rigid, DR and one from the 1990s. They are all good, but the DR has that extra 'sparkle' and will now do close ups on the M10. It also looks great on a chrome camera.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 1

The 50 DR is the best I have used. I have the Collapsible, Rigid, DR and one from the 1990s. They are all good, but the DR has that extra 'sparkle' and will now do close ups on the M10. It also looks great on a chrome camera.

William

Wait, I thought the DR isn’t compatible with digital M bodies.