Ultimate 50mm Summicron?

colint544

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What does anyone think of the upcoming 50mm APO Summicron 50th Anniversary lens? https://leicarumors.com/2017/10/14/more-pictures-of-the-new-leica-apo-summicron-50mm-lhsa-50th-anniversary-lens.aspx/

I'm guessing the metalwork will be brass, and it'll be the price of a new car. Well, a nicer new car than the standard 50mm APO Summicron is equivalent to.

Looks nice, though, even though this version was almost inevitable.

What does anyone think of the upcoming 50mm APO Summicron 50th Anniversary lens?

https://leicarumors.com/2017/10/14/more-pictures-of-the-new-leica-apo-summicron-50mm-lhsa-50th-anniversary-lens.aspx/

It will excel in every way that an experienced Leica photographer cannot appreciate.

Impressionistic opinions will be plenty. The greater the price,

the deeper the obfuscation in on-line images.

Edited by pico
  • Like 6

I rented the 50 APO, and while I found it superb optically, I was somewhat disappointed in its ergonomics. First, the aperture ring was extremely loose, as others have experienced. Presumably someone like DAG could remedy this. But the compact design resulted in a focus ring that was not fully knurled, and was cramped against the aperture ring. Not deal breakers, but not ideal for me.

The anniversary lens will apparently solve at least the focus ring issues. And, hopefully with a more stable aperture ring.

Unfortunately, the nifty slide out hood will be omitted, but perhaps with more effective flare resistance using the bigger snap-on.

I wonder about the cost.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

[...]

But the compact design resulted in a focus ring that was not fully knurled, and was cramped against the aperture ring.

[...]

I wonder about the cost.

Jeff

-

At least, Leica have resisted the temptation to cover the aperture ring with snow leopard foreskin to make this special edition even more special...

(Sorry, I am a bit allergic with regard to the special special-editions in general, as I find them rather decadent, even on a Leica adjusted score. But then, this one is less offensive than the previous handbag editions of camera bodies, although I am still waiting for a diamond-studded one. In my more naïve moments, I dream of Leica putting their energy into improved quality control instead of churning out cosmetic variations. On the other hand, if those special editions are necessary to keep the company commercially viable, so be it.)

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 4

The higher the price, the more appeal an item has, with no doubt.

But if You own an item belonging to the absolute top of the list, the more specific You look to the possible weackness. I hear people talk about their 100.000€ cars and all the power and technical implents the new buy has. Some days later they are head-shaking about the faults and lacks of their purchase.

Will there be a better photographer with this >10k$ lens?

I did the opposite and enjouy lustly old and non-perfect gear aka screw mount Leicas and old lenses. At the moment an Olympus OM1 with Zuiokos from the 70-90s is my favorite, lightmeter not working at all.

Facit: low money invested, no high expectations = satisfaction

immense money and closest examination to all thinkable bugs = looking for the next buy.

just my five cents

Thomas

..there is NO perfection, except me!

Edited by duckrider
  • Like 6

In the US a test was done with wine. Each person had to test 3 wines. The test persons were told that the first costed 3€ the second 8€ and the third wine costed 18 Euros. As a matter of fact each test person got 3 times the SAME wine. And at the end the 18€ sample won.

This I just read in the today‘s Sunday newspaper.

Edited by Alex U.

-

(Sorry, I am a bit allergic with regard to the special special-editions in general, as I find them rather decadent, even on a Leica adjusted score. But then, this one is less offensive than the previous handbag editions of camera bodies, although I am still waiting for a diamond-studded one. In my more naïve moments, I dream of Leica putting their energy into improved quality control instead of churning out cosmetic variations. On the other hand, if those special editions are necessary to keep the company commercially viable, so be it.)

+ 1

• Like 1

-

At least, Leica have resisted the temptation to cover the aperture ring with snow leopard foreskin to make this special edition even more special...

I personally like very much that kind of silver or black paint special editions.

Things made by Leica I really dislike are the bloody Red Dot, any inscription on the front of an M camera, silver hardware on a black M or the reverse (like on the accessory shoe or lens release button), the M8 and M240 top covers and the inefficient sliding lens hood and plain look of some of the 50mm M lenses.

[emoji6]

-

I've never considered a special edition, content with minimal M gear (typically 3 basic lenses) over 35 years. This is the first instance where I've recognized that a special edition lens might offer more practical operation than the 'standard' lens, if one can call a near $8000 lens standard. Absurd, when you think about it, that such a lens should have any basic shortcomings.

Leica has been making special editions as long as I remember. I prefer that to the possibility of the company going under, which almost happened along the way. Of course I prefer that they first concentrate on better reliability for its standard products.... along with better service (US in particular), better communications and more frequent FW updates. But that wasn't the OP's question.

Jeff

I thought Barnack was directed to compactness?

Compactness is what the current APO is all about, and that comes at a price, literally, and in terms of ergonomics (my comments above).

And the new one is a copy of an older popular design.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

-

That was the original design but it was scrapped after beta testing.  The problem was that when the lens barrel was polished, it would turn into a 135mm lens.

• Like 3