Ultimate 50mm Summicron?

colint544

• 1 month later...

I also weighed my 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH Black Chrome.

Almost the same weight at 386 g or 13.6 oz

Same digital scale. Both lenses are made of brass. Amazing they are virtually the same weight.

Also without hood?

Edit... I was initially thinking about the standard Summilux with built-in hood

How was the aperture ring and focus action on the LHSA Summicron? The standard APO often suffers from a very loose aperture ring, and the focus ring is cramped against it and not fully knurled.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

In the US a test was done with wine. Each person had to test 3 wines. The test persons were told that the first costed 3€ the second 8€ and the third wine costed 18 Euros. As a matter of fact each test person got 3 times the SAME wine. And at the end the 18€ sample won.

This I just read in the today‘s Sunday newspaper.

During last years Tour de France the Channel 4 (UK) commentator found a leading BSA on Burgundy wines, and after trotting out some of the pretentious drivel that appears on the labels he was put to sampling three varieties, expensive, moderate and cheap, much to his chagrin he picked the less than €10 LeClerc plonk.

His face was priceless :-)

Gerry

• Like 1

Also without hood?

Edit... I was initially thinking about the standard Summilux with built-in hood

How was the aperture ring and focus action on the LHSA Summicron? The standard APO often suffers from a very loose aperture ring, and the focus ring is cramped against it and not fully knurled.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Both the black and silver prototype lenses are very smooth with the focus and aperture, and production models should be the same. Feels the same as my black chrome Summilux. Some people think the brass bodied lenses are smoother in this regard and I would have to agree with that observation. One bonus of the LHSA version of the 50 APO are the improved haptics over the standard lens. I think they just got it right with the original wide knurled focus ring rigid Summicron in the focus and aperture ring layout. I never cared for the control layout on the standard 50 APO. I think the LHSA lens is spaced out better as far as the controls and not having the built-in hood gives some more room in this regard. The lens is heavy, and that was the remark most people made about it at the soft intro we did at the Chicago LHSA meeting.

Bill

• Like 2

It will excel in every way that an experienced Leica photographer cannot appreciate.

Impressionistic opinions will be plenty. The greater the price,

the deeper the obfuscation in on-line images.

Nicely said! On the other hand, It's a nice lens to look at. A pity that Leica did not issue the original 50 apo this way from the start.

Hi Jeff,

Both the black and silver prototype lenses are very smooth with the focus and aperture, and production models should be the same. Feels the same as my black chrome Summilux. Some people think the brass bodied lenses are smoother in this regard and I would have to agree with that observation. One bonus of the LHSA version of the 50 APO are the improved haptics over the standard lens. I think they just got it right with the original wide knurled focus ring rigid Summicron in the focus and aperture ring layout. I never cared for the control layout on the standard 50 APO. I think the LHSA lens is spaced out better as far as the controls and not having the built-in hood gives some more room in this regard. The lens is heavy, and that was the remark most people made about it at the soft intro we did at the Chicago LHSA meeting.

Bill

Thanks, I thought you might say this, but almost wish you hadn't. The price tag is not for me. Too bad one needs to pay such a high premium on an already top of the line lens to get top of the line ergonomics and handling. But I do like the nifty built-in hood on the standard version, even though flare control may not be as effective as the larger add- on hood provides.

I appreciate the follow up.

Jeff