Manual focusing without the EVF

Wojtek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey,

I know many of you guys tried manual lenses on TL2 (or T/TL). Have you tried focusing via LCD? Does it work? And the most important question:

Is it possible to reliably focus manually for portraits with big bokeh (i.e. 75mm f/2 headshot) using only the LCD on Leica TL2

By reliably I mean it's mostly accurate and doesn't last 5 seconds or so. Do you have any experience with that?

Thanks!

Edit. One more probably supersilly question - is there any important difference in manually focusing the Summilux-TL and Summilux M? I mean, I can test the Summilux-TL 35mm at manual focusing. If I find it easy / hard / whatever - will my opinion be the same while manually focusing M-mount 35mm? I don't know, maybe focus peaking works better on TL lenses or there's any other reason I don't take into account

Edited by Wojtek

on the T, before i bought the visoflex, i shot hundreds of pics using only the LCD..in focus at f2..just wait for the "shimmer" and shoot

Hey,

I know many of you guys tried manual lenses on TL2 (or T/TL). Have you tried focusing via LCD? Does it work? And the most important question:

Is it possible to reliably focus manually for portraits with big bokeh (i.e. 75mm f/2 headshot) using only the LCD on Leica TL2? 

By reliably I mean it's mostly accurate and doesn't last 5 seconds or so. Do you have any experience with that?

Thanks!

Edit. One more probably supersilly question - is there any important difference in manually focusing the Summilux-TL and Summilux M? I mean, I can test the Summilux-TL 35mm at manual focusing. If I find it easy / hard / whatever - will my opinion be the same while manually focusing M-mount 35mm? I don't know, maybe focus peaking works better on TL lenses or there's any other reason I don't take into account

• Like 1

I have been focusing with the LCD only at F1.1 (50mm) and works fine. In some shots I miss focus but that is often the case at F1.1 anyway.

The focus travel might be very different in the TL lenses compared to M lenses.

Edited by hifly

It's possible, although of course a bit trial and error. It worked for me even without the original M Adaptor T which gives you an enlarged area for easier focussing. A little neat trick I always used was to activate the video preview (swipe left to right on the screen). The video preview is zoomed in further than the single shot one is, so you can focus way easier. You'll get a hang of it and get better with it over time.

It's possible, although of course a bit trial and error. It worked for me even without the original M Adaptor T which gives you an enlarged area for easier focussing. A little neat trick I always used was to activate the video preview (swipe left to right on the screen). The video preview is zoomed in further than the single shot one is, so you can focus way easier. You'll get a hang of it and get better with it over time.

You can assign focus aid to your left dial for a 3x and 6x view.

Hi Guys,

I traded in my Sony RX1 for the Leica T.  If i only use the LCD screen to manual focus, at f1.4, is it do-able?

Can I still assign focus aid to the left dial, if im not using the OEM leica adaptor mount?

​Thanks in advance, Rick

In my opinion, it is do-able even at f1.1 as I mentioned above. I have shot my kids which move all the time and with little experience in manual focusing. The LCD is pretty accurate. And I do have a third party adapter (with no electronics what so ever) and can assign focus aid to the left dial. Many talk about the so called "shimmer" which appears on the in-focus subject and you can see it. In my experience, it helps to have the image settings for high contrast and high sharpness as I think they effect what you see in the LCD as well. Later, you can edit however you wish with the RAW file.