Geotag

FeralCoton

I disagree.

All that leaves the camera attached to the photos are strings of raw data.

Third party photo editing software contain fields that are populated with that data. Leica has no published photo RAW converters or image editing software as far as I know.

I wonder what makes you say that.

The M (Typ 240) writes two kind of files to the SD card.

1: a file with the extension of DNG. A DNG file is a kind of TIF file. The DNG format makes provisions to accept a number of tags recording GPS data such as the coordinates, the height, the precision of the measurement and others. Those tags are indeed written by the camera. They are in the file before anything by adobe touches the file.

2: a file with the extension of JPG. A jpg file contains a description implemented with tags. One set of those tags is defined to hold GPS data. Those tags, too, are indeed written by the camera. They, too, are in the file before anything by adobe touches the file.

I have worked in IT for several decades. I know how to handle files.

None of my other cameras has ever written GPS data to the files. In consequence, none of the image files on my server contain GPS data with these exceptions:

- 1: files I have  geotagged by manually entering the coordinates where the photograph was taken

- 2: files I have geotagged by applying a geotagging software which correlates the time stamp of a photograph with the time stamp in a separately recorded GPS track.

- 3: all photographs taken with an M (Typ 240). In those, the location is recorded as (0°:0': 0"/0°:0':0"), i.e two triplets describing a spot in the sea to the west of Africa, right on the equator.

- 4: all photographs taken with the phone which geotags the photographs as a matter of course (if the phone is set to do that).

• Like 2

I wonder what makes you say that.

The M (Typ 240) writes two kind of files to the SD card.

1: a file with the extension of DNG. A DNG file is a kind of TIF file. The DNG format makes provisions to accept a number of tags recording GPS data such as the coordinates, the height, the precision of the measurement and others. Those tags are indeed written by the camera. They are in the file before anything by adobe touches the file.

It provides a string of code. The image converter software writer makes those charts with the fields and instructs what data fills the fields. Remember ... Leica only uses DNG ... they don’t author it.

2: a file with the extension of JPG. A jpg file contains a description implemented with tags. One set of those tags is defined to hold GPS data. Those tags, too, are indeed written by the camera. They, too, are in the file before anything by adobe touches the file.

The tags are written by the camera but decoded and written by image software.

I have worked in IT for several decades. I know how to handle files.

None of my other cameras has ever written GPS data to the files. In consequence, none of the image files on my server contain GPS data with these exceptions:

Do your other cameras have built in GPS devices?

- 1: files I have geotagged by manually entering the coordinates where the photograph was taken

- 2: files I have geotagged by applying a geotagging software which correlates the time stamp of a photograph with the time stamp in a separately recorded GPS track.

- 3: all photographs taken with an M (Typ 240). In those, the location is recorded as (0°:0': 0"/0°:0':0"), i.e two triplets describing a spot in the sea to the west of Africa, right on the equator.

- 4: all photographs taken with the phone which geotags the photographs as a matter of course (if the phone is set to do that).

None of my cameras have built-in GPS devices, not even the M (Typ 240). The camera writes the tags to the files; the tags are defined by the consortium I mentioned before in this thread. In other words, the camera writes to the file that the photograph has been taken at the location (0°;0';0"/0°;0';0"). This is clearly wrong, as neither the camera nor I have ever been to this place, not by many miles.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent them sample DNG files and screen shots much like those seen in this thread and they replied that they couldn't reproduce the issue. They never got back to me after I supplied more supporting info.

I felt pissed that they treated me with so little respect especially since I was contributing to their salaries.

Ah well, at least Canon support is first class.

Does someone with more clout than me help?