Leica SF40 .....What a piece of junk!

ECohen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t think there is a general reliability problem with the SF 40. My comments were mostly that it is quite limited in functionality / controls compared to even the most basic flash models from Leica (SF 20, 24D, etc) of the past. When used with newer Leica cameras, in TTL mode, a lot of the controls are made on the camera body, so this doesn’t matter. With older bodies that don’t sync aperture / film speed information / compensation with these flashes their limitations become apparently.

Conversely, the older flashes don’t work in TTL mode with the newer bodies. Leica generally doesn’t maintain backward compatibility in flash functions which is a pain.

I bought an SF40 in July for my M262 bought last year.

Not tried it yet on my X1 or XVario yet but it appears to work perfectly with the M262 for which it was intended.

This is the first time I have used a hot-shoe flash since using a couple of Contax TLA units with their SLR and G system.

However, having read some comments on here I am wondering how long it will last?!

John

I dunno.   I fully expect any flash I buy today to work with all my cameras, not only the latest and greatest.  I don't expect the latest and greatest TTL metering modes to work on a camera made before the latest and greatest version was invented, but I do expect the flash to downgrade gracefully to whatever it is the camera can handle.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by Canon gear which has met my expectations.  A two year old flash works quite well on a 12 year old body.

I dunno.   I fully expect any flash I buy today to work with all my cameras, not only the latest and greatest.  

The SF-40 is a Leica dedicated Nissin i40 and so is limited to that flashes functionality (digital TTL and Manual only).  That doesn't do anything for me so I stick with the SF-24D and SF-58.

I have no experience with Canon flashes, but the only Nikon flash that meets the above criteria is the Nikon SB-800 which is fully compatible with both of Nikon's digital TTL versions as well as that of Nikon film bodies, plus Auto (auto-thyrister) and manual modes.  None of Nikon's newer flashes can do this.

As a retired Pro the M240 is my every day camera....usually with one lens. It is a joy to use!!

As much as I hate my Nikon's, they meet the needs of the professional. New flash works with old cameras great choice of obtainable priced lenses. And the build quality is pretty great. I'm using a kit with 3 SB800's I bought used (no idea how old or abused they were) and they work just fine. New body's and many many new and 15 year old lenses ...the kit plays very well together......and I can do almost anything photographic with it.

I don't think Leica cares about flash photography, especially in the M240  .....Which is understandable....its not that kind of camera.

But I also don't think that the 240 is a "professional" camera. Too expensive, too quirkier and too limited.

Anybody think those 2 new classic lenses, Summaron-M 28mm f/5.6 or the Tumblr were reincarnated for Pros?

I remain hopeful for the SL to replace my Nikon's but have no experience with it as yet. So far I am disappointed that the SL40 flash broke with minimal use. 

For me the best thing Leica has going is the simplicity of design and only features I need. If Nikon/Canon (maybe Sony too) changed their menu's to Leica simple and cut some weight it, would be the perfect camera......after all its just a tool.

Shooting with the M is kinda like driving a luxury sports car, simply for the fun of it.

Edited by ECohen

I dunno.   I fully expect any flash I buy today to work with all my cameras, not only the latest and greatest.  I don't expect the latest and greatest TTL metering modes to work on a camera made before the latest and greatest version was invented, but I do expect the flash to downgrade gracefully to whatever it is the camera can handle.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by Canon gear which has met my expectations.  A two year old flash works quite well on a 12 year old body.

i would hardly expect a modern camera to accept the functionality of an SCA 300 enabled camera, for instance. Many functions have been transferred to the from the flash to the camera body on modern flashes. I feel it is too much to expect full retro compatibility.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My one works, but I still agree it is junk.  It's not powerful enough, and I find getting the correct exposure really hard with both TTL and manual.  The supposed HSS ability is useless for all practical purposes because the flash strength is even weaker when you go above the standard sync rate.

I LOVE flash photography and wish it were better.  At some point I'll just have to get one of the bigger ones, I suppose.  Oh well.

My one works, but I still agree it is junk.  It's not powerful enough, and I find getting the correct exposure really hard with both TTL and manual.  The supposed HSS ability is useless for all practical purposes because the flash strength is even weaker when you go above the standard sync rate.

I LOVE flash photography and wish it were better.  At some point I'll just have to get one of the bigger ones, I suppose.  Oh well.

There is only one option at the moment and it is for a (big) mono light http://priolite.lighting/blog/its-here-leica-hot-sync-at-18000/ This will give you HSS but no TTL

I use Godox on manual, with ND filters if I need to cut the available light. The poor mans HSS...

• Like 1

The trick I've learned to make Leica TTL flash exposure usable is to know when it works and when it won't.  Any situation where normal metering will result in underexposure (e.g. bright background, light source in frame) will result in TTL flash underexposure.  Of course these situations are when you really need flash.  In most cases I set the flash to Auto (Auto-Thyrister mode) in which the flash controls the flash exposure while ignoring the background.  One needs to enter the set aperture on the flash while the camera sends the ISO value in use.  Unfortunately the SF-40 lacks this mode.

While it won't solve the HSS need, many non-Leica flashes work well in Auto mode on Leica bodies.  My Nikon flashes work well and the older ones can be found inexpensively.  I just have to remember to manually set the ISO value on the flash (as well as aperture) since the body will not automatically send it.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 2

There is only one option at the moment and it is for a (big) mono light http://priolite.lighting/blog/its-here-leica-hot-sync-at-18000/ This will give you HSS but no TTL

I use Godox on manual, with ND filters if I need to cut the available light. The poor mans HSS...

Thanks for the mono light tip.

ND, unfortunately, is like changing aperture, it doesn't separate fore- and background, it just dims everything.  The whole point of high sync speed is to selectively tame the non-flash illuminated elements of the image. I know it is unreasonable to expect high sync speed from the kind of shutter the M-D has, it's not a big deal, but I bought the SF40 too naively.  I should have realised it lacks power and that on the SF40, HSS is just a marketing gimmick, not the real deal.

Of course, if I had a powerful flash, ND, would work fine ...

• 4 months later...

To complete this thread.

On October 14 2017 Leica NJ USA received my SF40 strobe for warranty repair.
March 21,2018  I received a new replacement SF40. I did bug them with 6 emails and I think that helped speed things up?

A very nice guy from customer service answered all my emails and thanked me for my patience.

I find my Leica  repair experience laughable. Did it really need to take 5 months to send me a replacement?

I remain brand loyal thanks to this caring human, from customer service.

If Leica wants to reward him and they should, contact me I'll send you his name.