Leica SF40 .....What a piece of junk!

ECohen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought this product a little over a year ago to occasionally use a fill in flash a with a M240.  For obvious reasons available light yielded a nicer result so I didn't use it much. I have been pulling it out to every couple months to make sure the capacitors were properly formed.

I just it pulled it out for the 5th or 6 time to run some power through it....Also I have a shoot coming up that it may get some use.

Fresh batteries, push the power button, green light came on then red .......and that's it .No green light... No flash.......on any setting.

The continuous light setting does work.

I can't seem to put my hand on the instructions to see if I missed something in troubleshooting. 

Any advice ......except to throw the damn thing in the trash?

Edited by ECohen
  • Like 1

IIRC, the instructions are available to download from the Support section of Leica's website.

Anyhow, sorry to learn that you have problems. Mine works fine on the few (very few) occasions that it is needed. The only time I had a situation like yours was when I put the batteries in the wrong way round ... which is very easy to do.

Good luck.

Found the instructions.....thank you Peter ...it's broken

And the good news Nissin/ Leica has a 2 year warranty.

I will look in to where to send  for repair in the US.... tomorrow.

.......I guess its worth the price of shipping

• Like 1

I bought this product a little over a year ago to occasionally use a fill in flash a with a M240.  For obvious reasons available light yielded a nicer result so I didn't use it much. I have been pulling it out to every couple months to make sure the capacitors were properly formed.

I just it pulled it out for the 5th or 6 time to run some power through it....Also I have a shoot coming up that it may get some use.

Fresh batteries, push the power button, green light came on then red .......and that's it .No green light... No flash.......on any setting.

I can't seem to put my hand on the instructions to see if I missed something in troubleshooting. 

I'm on my third SF40. The first two did exactly what your one did. Fresh batteries and nothing. I haven't even taken the third one out of the box. They are junk.

Can someone in the US  tell me the proper protocol for a warranty repair?
Do I need email authorization from NJ to send  back the accessory for repair?

Should I include the case and original box? 
Or just the unit a short note and the sales receipt ?

And to confirm the correct East coast address is:
1 Pearl Ct A, Allendale, NJ 07401  Attn: Warranty Repair

Thanks in advance for the info

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An email to repair@leicacamerausa.com thus far ignored 5 days ago.
A voice message left to Andra at Customer Service in NJ ... not yet returned 2 days ago.

I have never needed a Leica warranty repair......but  bad customer service could really disillusion me to this company.

I remain hopeful and will try again on Monday, explaining my need to the live operator that sent me to customer service voice mail in NJ.

I guess I did make the mistake of not buying from the Leica Store 50 miles from my home. I don't think that should be an issue.

Suggestions welcome.

Posting on social media can be fruitful. Most firms are scared of bad comments. In the last year I have successfully used Twitter to get a fridge fixed, get faster broadband, and get a dripping tap fixed.

Don't be critical. Just state the problem and ask for a solution. Their marketing people will do the rest.

Accountants run firms these days. Marketing people are the second level. Accountants are anal retentive. Marketing are anal expressive.

I hope you catch my drift. 

Good luck

• Like 1

Posting on social media can be fruitful. Most firms are scared of bad comments. In the last year I have successfully used Twitter to get a fridge fixed, get faster broadband, and get a dripping tap fixed.

Don't be critical. Just state the problem and ask for a solution. Their marketing people will do the rest.

Accountants run firms these days. Marketing people are the second level. Accountants are anal retentive. Marketing are anal expressive.

I hope you catch my drift. 

Good luck

I'm pretty much in the minority with social media....I don't participate ...except for this forum.

I plan to make another and call do my due diligence.

If I cant get a response from Leica Customer service or the repair department, I'll drive 50 miles and see if my local Leica Store can offer me service....or advice.

I'm keeping my cool as I have not put in all the work yet. If I cant get service.... warranty service .......I will dump this brand.

I don't mind sending it off and having it fixed in a year or whenever. To not have a Warranty request acknowledged ....is BS.

This is a luxury brand with a luxury price....OK slow repair service I can deal with. No service is unacceptable and rude.

I would feel like a fool to stick with a brand that treats customers with such disrespect.

I read someplace that, 59% of Customers Don’t Return After a Bad Customer Service Experience.

I love Photography and using the M as my main camera suites me ......I'm even considering an SL to replace my Nikons.

How this simple nothing Warranty repair is handled is up to Leica. I'm theirs to lose.

I don't mind saying I am heartsick and disappointed ......this is nothing and it should be easier.

Edited by ECohen

Posting on social media can be fruitful. Most firms are scared of bad comments.

I don't participate ...except for this forum.

Which is in this case the perfect choice (in most other cases of course too):

We'll report your issue to Wetzlar and try to get a direct contact.

Andreas

• Like 1

I have had the SF 20 since 2000 and it still works flawlessly.  That flash was very nicely designed.  Clean industrial design plus sensible controls and overrides where they are called for.  The followup model, the SF 24 was even better in giving slightly more granular controls.

Unfortunately, I've found most of Leica's compact flash offerings since then to be quite below par.  They have greater flash output than the SF 20 / 24 but inferior in all other aspects.

Can anyone, in the US. confirm that this is the correct  email address for the Warranty Repair Department  N.J. USA I need to request service?

leicarepair@leicacamerausa.com

Thanks in advance.
Evan

Evan Cohen Photography
6639 Chippewa Drive
Baltimore, MD 21209
(410)598-7027  Cell
www.evancohen.net

Which is in this case the perfect choice (in most other cases of course too):

We'll report your issue to Wetzlar and try to get a direct contact.

Andreas

I got a reply today from  technicalinfo@leicacamerausa.com.

I'm sure the process will go smoothly from here.

• Like 1

I bought an SF40 in July for my M262 bought last year.

Not tried it yet on my X1 or XVario yet but it appears to work perfectly with the M262 for which it was intended.

This is the first time I have used a hot-shoe flash since using a couple of Contax TLA units with their SLR and G system.

However, having read some comments on here I am wondering how long it will last?!

John

John,

Don't be too concerned. I have had mine for over 18 months and it still works perfectly. However, I use it very rarely. Normally raising ISO will allow a decent shot but there are times when nothing but flash will do the job. My SF-40 has served me well for those times.

I empathise with those that received a bad product. Send them back for replacement. Life is too short to hold a grudge over a piece of hardware. The warranty is good so please stop moaning ... you'll get a replacement or your money back.

"Life is too short to hold a grudge over a piece of hardware."

I don't care about the busted strobe or how long it takes for repair......It was the lack of reply from the NJ Leica Repair Dept or unanswered messages to  humans in Customer Service. Why is it called Customer Service if they don't give it to you when you need it?

Today's reply was from Technical Info ....Who said "its not my department but I'll be happy to help you". That guy should be in Customer Service!

• Like 1