Learning LIGHTROOM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Those who browse the Leica C thread will be aware that having been a Photoshop follower for many years I want to start using the Lightroom 5 which came with my Leica C.

I am a very light user, and wonder if people have ideas about the best way to learn LR. When I got my original PS CS5 I obtained Martin Evening's excellent book but found that was far too extensive and detailed for my needs.

Maybe just tinkering around and learning by experience is the way to go, although setting up some form of basic workflow at an early stage seems a sensible approach. I shall be using a MACBOOK PRO for the task, so any initial advice or ideas would be most welcome.

Richard

Scott Kelby books and /or Julieanne Kost free videos.

You'll save a lot of grief if you first understand how LR is structured....library, catalogs, etc. The edit tools can be learned after.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Julienne Kost covers all you need. Watch an episode. Watch it a second time, pausing to follow using your work. Watch and copy. Go back and repeat again if necessary until you are confident before rushing ahead. It will take time, but the effort will be rewarding. If really stuck, ask on this forum.

An easier reference book is Lightroom **** The missing FAQS, copies for various LR versions.

• Like 1

Very grateful thanks,everyone. I'll certainly follow the Youtube links especially the Julienne Kost which get several mentions. In fact I can watch on one computer pause and work alongside on my laptop. Books are OK once you know your way around them because I have found they are not the sort of thing you can read sequentially for this sort of thing to get a rounded picture - at least I found that with Martin Evening's super PS volume.

I'll report back on my progress.

Just to make things interesting, Adobe announced LR7 today. Two versions, Classic (desktop) and a mobile version where all your photos are stored on a data server somewhere. Both are subscription only. LR6 perpetual license will be be available for a while longer, with some new camera/bug-fix updates.

Edited by Chuck Albertson