Summarit 35mm f2.4 vs f2.5 aspherical difference

Soheil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys,

I haven't find any serious comparison between new Summarit 35mm f2.4 and the older f2.5 version on the net.

I've read in some reviews there isn't any difference between the optics and the new version only advertised as aspherical however the older has the same optics ! Is it right?

But Ken Hansen a famous Leica dealer believes that there is a huge difference between the optics, design and picture sharpness and Summarit f2.4 can be compared with Summicron f2 in quality. 

What do you think? have you ever compared or experienced both?

I'm have two choices to buy now with the same $1150 price.  one is a brand new Summarit f2.5 and the other is a lightly used Summarit f2.4 which has been bought 3 years ago.

Should i go for brand new f2.5 or the quality difference worth it to buy the used f2.4?

I've read in some reviews there isn't any difference between the optics, and the new version only advertised as aspherical however the older has the same optics! Is it right?

That's right indeed.

But Ken Hansen, a famous Leica dealer, believes that there is a huge difference between the optics, design, and picture sharpness ...

He's wrong. The only differences are the design of the hoods and barrels, the filter sizes (E39 vs E46), and the nominal speeds (1:2.5 vs 1:2.4) even though the actual speeds are just the same in both versions.

... and the Summarit-M 35 mm 1:2.4 Asph can be compared with Summicron-M 35 mm 1:2 Asph in quality.

Yes, it can. So can the Summarit-M 35 mm 1:2.5, as it is the same lens effectively. As a matter of fact, the Summarits are even better than the Summicron in terms of flare (or lack thereof) in back-light situations.

Should I go for brand-new 1:2.5 or is the quality difference worth it to buy the used 1:2.4?

I think you should go for the filter size that's more convenient for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's right indeed.

He's wrong. The only differences are the design of the hoods and barrels, the filter sizes (E39 vs E46), and the nominal speeds (1:2.5 vs 1:2.4) even though the actual speeds are just the same in both versions.

Yes, it can. So can the Summarit-M 35 mm 1:2.5, as it is the same lens effectively. As a matter of fact, the Summarits are even better than the Summicron in terms of flare (or lack thereof) in back-light situations.

I think you should go for the filter size that's more convenient for you.

Thank you. So the aspherical issue is only for marketing? Is there any sharpness comparison (on the picture corners) which can show they have the same optics?

The new 35 Summarit M is the only one of the second generation Summarits to have an aspheric element...

http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/09/leica-announces-new-summarit-m-lenses/

Jeff

So You believe there is a difference. and obviously the new one with aspherical elements is sharper than the old one. correct?

Edited by Soheil

The "old" one with f1:2.5 also has an aspherical element - lower one of the two middle elements. 

On their website they used to name the "old" version already "asph." This was one of many reasons to make fun of their many faults on the website in the German Forum -though in this  - only -case the website was right...

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 2

The "old" one with f1:2.5 also has an aspherical element - lower one of the two middle elements. 

On their website they used to name the "old" version already "asph." This was one of many reasons to make fun of their many faults on the website in the German Forum -though in this  - only -case the website was right...

The new one has more than one aspherical elements? I couldn't open the file (or link) you sent... could you resend it please?

The 35mm Summarit - old and new - has one aspherical element

You can download the lensshape here: https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/M-Objektive/Leica-Summarit-M-1-2,4-35-mm-ASPH/Downloads

The sheet for the "old" one didn't mark the element as an aspherical, but it was the same lensshape.

When it was announced the Leica Blog in this forum said:

Same Optical Design, Tighter Tolerances

No new optical design was need to achieve the bigger aperture. Leica engineers were able to increase the maximum aperture by 1/8 exposure value by tighter tolerances in the production process. The lens design for the Summarit-M 35 mm includes one aspherical lens element, the predecessor included the same lens element, but it was not mentioned in the official lens name.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2014/09/leica-summarit-m/

Whoever thinks the new version is better, might buy it and be happy. Whoever wants to sell it saying it was better, doesn't tell the truth.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 2

Other things being equal, I’d prefer an E39 above an E46 (because I could use the many original Leica top-filters E39 on my Monochrome). And why did the owner sell the 2.4 so soon, I’d be curious to know.

Edited by otto.f

Other things being equal, I’d prefer an E39 above an E46 (because I could use the many original Leica top-filters E39 on my Monochrome). And why did the owner sell the 2.4 so soon, I’d be curious to know.

I prefer E39 too. He is upgrading to Summicron

The 35mm Summarit - old and new - has one aspherical element

You can download the lensshape here: https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/M-Objektive/Leica-Summarit-M-1-2,4-35-mm-ASPH/Downloads

The sheet for the "old" one didn't mark the element as an aspherical, but it was the same lensshape.

When it was announced the Leica Blog in this forum said:

Same Optical Design, Tighter Tolerances

No new optical design was need to achieve the bigger aperture. Leica engineers were able to increase the maximum aperture by 1/8 exposure value by tighter tolerances in the production process. The lens design for the Summarit-M 35 mm includes one aspherical lens element, the predecessor included the same lens element, but it was not mentioned in the official lens name.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2014/09/leica-summarit-m/

Whoever thinks the new version is better, might buy it and be happy. Whoever wants to sell it saying it was better, doesn't tell the truth.

Is this authorized Leica blog?