Brightline finder or EVF?

sml_photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using an EVF with my M-P (240) and 24mm lens.  Sometimes, it gets frustrating when I experience the blackout after tripping the shutter.  Even with continuous shooting.  I'm wondering if anyone has a preference for using the brightline finder (for the 24mm) instead of the EVF?

Thanks!

Edited by sml_photo

On the occasions when I need a 24mm I tend to use LV rather than EVF because it saves having to fit something else to the body.

Sometimes I just use the rangefinder and guess, based on experience.

Recently I was in France and visited a chapel with mediaeval ceiling paintings just after noon. The caretaker was a typically anal French lady who just wanted to close so she could go for lunch. If I had done more than change lens she would probably have had a heart attack as she was so stressed. :)

• Like 1

I just learned there is a 24mm plastic version of the brightline in addition to the metal one.  I never paid much attention to this piece of equipment.

Probably doesn't make a difference.  Other than cosmetically...right?

Framing is perfect with EVF.

It becomes what I call a zombie camera unless it is used from a tripod when I can use the loupe from my large format camera.

Angle of view increases or decreases when focusing .  I had it figured once, but I forgot.  But I think the inside frame line boundary is correct for 20 feet,  the outside edge of the line is for infinity.  Should have taped a note to the finder.

I don't own a 24 for Leica, but when I travel I now carry just the EVF. I use it with closeup attachments, 12, 15, 21 and 135mm lenses. Saves on space and switching. However if I'm near home using just one w/a lens I revert back to an optical finder. Can't stand the blackout.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

as long as the lifeview gives me a serious shutterlag when releasing, i will not even bother buying that EVF-thing. i use lifeview for static situations with no need for the right moment and guess the right angle through the viewfinder for those pictures that depend on the decisive Moment.

I even shoot 15mm without EVF/LV! :)

IMHO, the only time EVF/LV is really needed if there are straight lines and you need to do perspective adjustment. 

This is with M9

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

I just learned there is a 24mm plastic version of the brightline in addition to the metal one.  I never paid much attention to this piece of equipment.

Probably doesn't make a difference.  Other than cosmetically...right?

Not really - I've used both types for a 21, and the plastic one is just slightly larger (needs thicker plastic to be as strong as brass). And eventually (after 8 years, with a finder already 30 years old) the plastic foot came apart anyway. I currently have another plastic 21 finder, despite that experience.

If plastic is OK, there are also the Voigtlander finders, which are also larger, but "rounded" so they don't snag, pulling a camera out of a bag, for instance. Voigtlander makes theirs for 25mm - but given the "looseness" of non-ttl viewing anyway, it will work perfectly well for a 24 (4% difference, if that).

https://cameraquest.com/jpg5/VF%20252.jpg

As to "preference" and use - I seriously got the non-ttl viewing bug when I first tried the Voigtlander Bessa-L in 1999 or so. Which had NO viewing except for the add-on accessory brightline viewfinders. There was something so - liberating - about just putting that glass window and silver line around subjects. Slam-bam. Led to first a Contax G and then to Leicas.

https://simonjamesonweston.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/normal_hp337.jpg

Below with Bessa-L and 15mm - my "gateway drug" enroute to Leica. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2