A little celebration of my 13 year old M7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I originally bought an M7 in 2004. It was my introduction to Leica (okay, I'd read about them and friends had told me about them, but this was he first time I'd bought one).

I had a 35, 50 and 90... and after many misadventures, grew to love it!

My M7 has been through hell and high water; it's travelled around the world, I've fallen on it (slightly inebriated), and the last time I used it was with the umbrella revolution in Hong Kong.

Three years ago, I started getting into the R system, because it was still relatively cheap in HK.

Anyway, yesterday, I dug my M7 out, put some batteries in it... and the beautiful thing didn't miss a beat!

Despite the cosmetic differences, it worked as it did the first day I bought it!

Will an M240 or M10 work in 13 years time? Okay! Not really the point... I just love this beast (I would post some photos of it, but there seem to be some issues).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My M7 will be ten years old in January. I bought it as a 40th birthday present to myself :)

It was my first Leica. I was trying to decide between this and the MP but it was hard. I'm typically an A-mode shooter but the MP had extra appeal. Well, now I have both and I appreciate them both for their own qualities but, if I had to choose, M7 it would be. Beautiful machine.

P.S. Yes, that my M7 in my profile pic. I have even less hair now.

Edited by jrh68uk

My first Leica was an M4 in 1968, which still works fine. Later an M6, but I skipped the M7 (and M5 earlier). After retiring I filled in some missing models - such as the M5 - but instead of an M7 got the Zeiss Ikon ZM, with similar features, as I had a chance when it was just discontinued. I've thought about looking for an M7, but between the M6 and ZM I don't think it adds much, and the ZM viewfinder is the best I've found.