Roddy

M10 Images Vanished from SD Cards

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All the images from 2 SD cards disappeared. Both are Delkin. One card is an 32gb SDHC - SD 633x UHS-1 that writes 80mb/s and reads 95mb/s, the other a Black (name of Card) 128gb, UHS-1 SDXC. Both had been formatted in camera - the 128 card with images still on the card from a previous shoot. These are all images I took today at a music festival, and all the images were present when I reviewed them in camera as the day went on. When I tried loading them into Lightroom there was no images in either card. I reloaded the cards into the camera and both cards were empty. My camera was purchased in August and has the latest 1.9.4 firmware. My whole day's work has vanished.

Anyone know what the problem might be, and also how to recover the images?

Thank you.

Roddy Blelloch

When you insert them in the computer, are they formatted but just empty? There are many file recovery programs that can scan the card and recover files by recognizing the data patterns of jpg files.

I’ve used one called Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery in the past with good results (on Windows) in the past.

I'm not able to help you as to why this might have happened. It certainly sounds very strange – particularly as the previous day's image are apparently still on the card.

There are lots of little bits of software on the Internet which will help you find deleted files and help you to recover them.

Google "undelete" and pick something. Maybe someone will come here and tell you what they think the best one is but over several years I've tended to find that they are all broadly as good as each other.

Be careful when you install them because sometimes they have little checkboxes – already checked – which want to change your default homepage or your default search engine et cetera.

I imagine that if you Google "best undelete programs reviews" then you might get a feel for what people generally think about the various choices.

Most undelete programs are available free of charge. There is no need to pay for undelete programs – as I have said, just be careful of what you might be being asked to install at the same time.

In case you don't know, files on cards and hard disks are never actually deleted. What happens is that the system merely replaces the first letter of the file name with some extraneous character which indicates to the operating system that the file is not intended to be read anymore.

Let us know how you get on

Edited by marcg

I typed in "recovery software for SD cards" as a random guess. Try that.

It happened to me, my wife's Fuji X10 camera, a few years ago, while on a cruise. Fortunately, the cruise photographer was very helpful, and all the files were recovered.

It happens, and usually is "fixable".

Gary

Don’t just download something you find on a random web search. Very popular way to get nasty virus software on your computer. At least use a reputable download site like CNET.

And above all WRITE PROTECT BOTH CARDS, using the locking slider, to prevent additional writes to the card.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Find the program on your computer to recover file system and apply to

Your SD cards

For this your cards can not be write protected

Becouse file system needs to be repaired and written

This happened to me before ones, and I used disk utility on my Mac

Everything was recovered in my case

Thank you all for responding. I shot DNG only unfortunately. I have another day at the festival today. And I will report back the results.

The recovery software I mentioned might find DNG files, but it’s better on common formats like jpg. I shoot DNG plus jpg primarily for that reason. It’s an extra layer of safety to have jpg files on the drive in the event of a disaster - and, yes, I have had to recover from a self-induced disaster at least once where I was glad they were there (wrong drive inserted into a server during an upgrade). They cost some storage space, but that’s not a big issue (to me) today.

As someone said, set the physical lock on the cards and run some recovery software if you care enough about those images.

The problem with recovery software is that it records .dng files as .tif. You only have to rename them to .dng to make them readable.

Roddy did you find what cause the problem . 

I am facing the same issue, i got 200photo (dng) that not on the sd card(sandisk 64gb)  but I am sure to review hem on my camera(leica m240) when I shoot ..

I did then try again at home took a picture, review it . its fine . after switiching off the camera ... no more picture !!!either try to find it on the computer nothing .

I have been flown all the way to south africa to shoot and no i have no explaination to give to my customer . 

all recovery software couldnot retrieve the missing DNG...

Please anybody help >>>

I got my D750 Nikon back from recall, inserted the cards and did some tests.  Photos show on monitor of camera.   Put cards in computer and they are nowhere to be found.   

I had two folders on the card, neither had much in them.    If I drilled down to show more and more pics on the camera screen and found them.   The computer can not see them if I insert the card.  On about the fourth try,  they showed on date taken and I downloaded.  Then they went away again but would show on the camera back.

Reformatted and all is well and working properly.     

Lexar has recovery programs.  

Usually the manufacturer of the card provides recovery software.  I've used it in the past, and it worked for me.  So look on the Mfg's website or contact them.  I'd bet your images are there still, they just need some coaxing to be recovered.