Fantastic new Leica M rangefinder prototype appears in the movie "The Mountain Between Us"

Stonewall Brigade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I watched the new movie "The Mountain Between Us", featuring Kate Winslet & Idris Elba, and saw what must be a new prototype M camera being used by the stars.  This Leica M rangefinder has some fantastic features not found on current M models, like my M10.  For example, in one scene the camera body clearly looks like a M240 or M262.  A long lens, such as a Summicron-M 90mm, is mounted throughout the movie.  Later, Kate Winslet advises Idris Elba to look through the M rangefinder so that the long telephoto lens can help" magnify the distance", like a pair of binoculars. Some kind of new rangefinder technology?  In another scene you can "hear and see the lens autofocus".  Kate Winslet's character takes an image of a dog from about 1 foot away from the dog's face, showing an amazing close focusing range.  She shows a digital photograph just made by pressing the image review button on the rear screen, but later, the camera turns into an M-4P, as is clearly marked, and 35mm roll of film shows up by the movie's conclusion.  

Wow, what an amazing Leica rangefinder.  Should I pre-order the black or chrome version, and what camera bag should I get?

Edited by Stonewall Brigade
  • Like 6

M-P (from the top engraving with Leica script, and no red dot on the front), and Summarit 90mm (cheapskates! ;) ) with the accessory hood mounted, I believe. At least in this scene freeze-frame:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--CZeB2ymv--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nw1b3zngjli4lrkojkhp.png

Given this project went through two directors and three (!) rewrites, and three actors each for the lead roles, this seems like a grindhouse pot-boiler. The Leica foobahs are likely the least of its problems....

Edited by adan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Companies often pay for "placement" of their product(s) into a film for promotional purposes.

Not sayin' . . . just sayin'   

Somehow I feel that Germans employed with Leica are probably too anal and proud of their product, and would not misrepresent Leica M bodies in movies just for "placement".  This movie featured an autofocus M digital rangefinder that held a 35mm film canister, and focused its short telephoto (90mm?) lens to about 1 foot. I just don't see Leica officially having a part of that deception.

It was funny to see the autofocus and zoom finder M. On the switch from digital M to film M4-P, I assume the PJ had a film M in the bag and would certainly have needed to use the battery less film camera after 3 weeks in the cold with no charging available for the digital M's batteries.